Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D tutorials for the PSP in C++

DCEmu Coder

Default 3D tutorials for the PSP in C++

Hi everybody,

When I created Boxy 2, Elementals (still in progress) and Raze (also still in progress) I sometimes came across some problems. These were related to all sorts of fields like music, graphics both 2D as 3D, fonts, just some optimizations etc. and well I saw that a lot of people were having the same problems. Since I have solved a lot of the general questions with a lot of help from the PSP programming Guru's, as I like to call them, I thought I should do something back to the community. I decided to put my knowledge into a series of tutorials. Please keep in mind that I am not a Guru! If you have any comments on the tutorials like, language improvements, code optimizations or other comments, please fill in the form at the bottom of the tutorial to let me know.

Enjoy the tutorials and I hope that they are helpfull.

At this moment there are only a few tutorials but over time the list of tutorials will expand greatly!:thumbup:

The 3D Psptutorials

Please do not copy the tutorials and use them as your own on your website. I have put quite some time in them and will in the future. If you want them on the site please link to them instead of copying them to your site. THANK YOU!

Greetings

Ghoti

PSP Coder

Nice but I think your tutorials need alot more depth.
    I mean stuff like nehe.gamedev.net pretty much can teach anybody the basics they need to do 3D (minus the tutorials from going from opengl to psp).

I personaly would more focus on specific issues psp faces like a detail review of the PSP's matrix systems, VFPU programming, how to write a clipper, and probably a detailed article on doing collision systems (posibly an additional one showing how to optimise for the psp).

Also, Elementals looks extreamly nice. Congrats on that!!

DCEmu Coder

Hi

Well the tutorials are actually created because no one has done that before (as far as I know). The more depth come with more tutorials. The ones done now are the more basic ones. The next tutorial going about the projection/view and model matrix will also address the matrix stuff.

Collision detection will be done also. VFPU i do not yet have experience with so that will come somewhat later as I said I am not a GURU I just share some of the knowledge given to me by others so that other newbee programmers can also take a dive into the 3D world of the PSP.

Elementals indeed looks nice but developing a RPG is a lot of work :s, I am also busy with a 3D racer game, will release a preview of that one soon

thanks for the reply

Thank you Ghoti I am currently learning bits of C++ so thanks

PSN ID: splodger15

DCEmu Newbie

Thank you for your effort, Ghoti. I was hoping somebody would do something like this to give me a starting point for 3D work on the PSP. I'm a C++ programmer, but the idiosyncrasies of PSP programming are rather hard to come by (at least, they have been in my searches).

Thanks again! Can't wait to fire up cygwin and give this a shot. :thumbup:

DCEmu Coder

Hi thanks for the nice comments

@splodger15: Hope the tutorials and the future to come tutorials will help you.

@Uberman: Yes that was the reason why I started making the tutorials, I too had some trouble getting started with the 3D environment of the PSP, have done a lot the past year and thought maybe I should write it down so other can benefit from it also.

PSP Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoti View Post
    Hi

Well the tutorials are actually created because no one has done that before (as far as I know). The more depth come with more tutorials. The ones done now are the more basic ones. The next tutorial going about the projection/view and model matrix will also address the matrix stuff.

Collision detection will be done also. VFPU i do not yet have experience with so that will come somewhat later as I said I am not a GURU I just share some of the knowledge given to me by others so that other newbee programmers can also take a dive into the 3D world of the PSP.

Elementals indeed looks nice but developing a RPG is a lot of work :s, I am also busy with a 3D racer game, will release a preview of that one soon

thanks for the reply
    Its cool but I am just telling you I think it needs a little more meat on them to be useful enough for someone to get somewhere.

Also take from my experience. You should try focusing on 1 game at a time (you've said the RPG is alot of work as is and you're also trying to do another game at the same time). I made the mistake of wanting to try too much at once insted of really putting the time and dedication into a single project only.

DCEmu Coder

meat will come eventually, the tutorials are work in progress

as for the game, yes you are right and thats why I have not worked on elementals for a few months now. I only worked at the 3d race game.

DCEmu Newbie

I just bookmarked your page. I'll look at it when I have time. Thx for the effort and please keep this up.

DCEmu Coder

I will! thanks:thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information