Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: NeoCDPSP v0.1

Dream Coder

There are three things in reference to the Neo Geo CD being simpler:

1) The graphics hardware it uses is not exactly the same
    2) The emulator for it is MUCH simpler than any existing MVS emulator because it does not include raster emulation, which is relatively complex and requires a lot of additional processor time. The reason for this is that relatively there are very few CD games that use raster effects.
    3) The emulator can be run without sound effects to a much nicer end result than most since (if used legitimately) it can stream CD audio loslessly.

All in all NeoCD is much more portable than any MVS emulator.

1) The graphics hardware it uses is not exactly the same

Incorrect. It is the same.

http://www.egameaddiction.com/neogeo...eocdspecs.html
    http://www.egameaddiction.com/neogeo...ogeocdfaq.html

The reason for this is that relatively there are very few CD games that use raster effects.

Incorrect. The NeoCD versions of games had the same raster effects as the AES/MVS versions. The emu doesn't have them because the author never bothered adding them. The only differences in graphics tended to be cut animation on some later games, simply because the 7MB RAM wasn't enough to hold all the frames from the cart versions.

The primary difference, as I pointed out before, is the NeoCD replaces the cart slot with a CD interface and 7MB of RAM to buffer data and program as needed. It is otherwise the same overall hardware. Which was the entire point of its existence in the first place - to offer the real NeoGeo experience using a much less expensive medium (CD vs. ROM cart). Load times and ever expanding game sizes sadly made the NeoCD a less than perfect replacement for the AES/MVS.

Dream Coder

Even for the AES/MVS only around 50 or so games use raster effects (and for the CD system there are only around a total of 100 or so games of which around 10 use raster effects). ask anyone who can read a mame driver. raster effects are only emulated in those that require them, and the rest do not require raster effects and they are not emulated. Trust me, I have spent hours upon hours in the guts of emulators, I know what I'm talking about.

The graphics hardware is mostly the same but is not an identical chip. Read technical documents as opposed to loose 'specs' pages. The CD version had different possible resolutions for sprites because of the fact that it was only possible to access a max of 7mb at a time (and realistically less, since a certain amount had to be used for actual game data)

man there is more game title for tha vms then tha cd im i right or wrong because i go to this web site and tha neogeo cd really dont have that much game dame it ......

DCEmu Newbie

I think I can actually understand what you're trying to say. Wow.

Anyway, just posting a few more compatibility checks for the following games:

Samurai Spirits RPG: loads the start screen,
    then blacks out after selecting the Start Game option.
    Can anyone else confirm that SSRPG doesn't work?

Art of Fighting 3(or Gaiden): plays well, music and sound are all okay.
    However, on certain stages there are some background problems.
    Still, very playable.

Crossed Swords 2: plays well, music and sound.
    Like AOF3, there are background problems with the background
    sometimes covering over the parts of the screen at times.
    However, because it's necessary to see the whole screen to be able
    to guard attacks, etc., I find it a little less playable than AOF3.

Magical Drop 2: sound and music during start screen,
    but no sound or music during actual play.
    Plays very though, went up to around 80fps when I didn't limit it.

how the hell do i save, it seams when i try its in friggan japanese!!!

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by gamerboi909
    man there is more game title for tha vms then tha cd im i right or wrong because i go to this web site and tha neogeo cd really dont have that much game dame it ......
    correct me if i'm wrong: "Man, there are more game titles for the MVS than the CD. Am I right or wrong, because when I go to this web site, the NeoGeo CD really doesn't have that many games damn it.... "

The MVS has maybe around 300 titles ( games come out for it still) and the CD system only has 104(?) total games (if not 104 exactly somewhere between 95 and 120). There were less than 5 games exclusive to the CD system, but an important one was Samurai Spirits RPG.

ok, so how can i save my games using this emulator for the psp?

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by RedKing14CA
    ok, so how can i save my games using this emulator for the psp?
    wait for more than 10 minutes for someone to come who knows your answer. I know for a fact that in the original emulator saving was automatic, and if it was implemented at all in the psp version, it would also be automatic. The only drawback is that you need to format the memory card first (the neo geo cd virtual memory card) this can be done from most games. Again, this is only if saving works at all.

DCEmu Newbie

Saving does not work. I formatted the card, saved a game of Metal Slug, exited (using the option in the main menu) and found the save data in the memory card manager. When I reset my PSP, the save data was gone.

Thread Information