Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Return Of The PS1P? A.C.'s homebrew PS1 emulation lives!

GP2X Coder

psp The Return Of The PS1P? A.C.'s homebrew PS1 emulation lives!

We want you!
    That's what the psx4all team says when it comes to their PS1P port. PS1P's roots within the psx4all codebase was known by few.

But Anonymous Coder is back onboard, and we're testing the waters to see if there's demand for such a large scale homebrew project on the PSP!

For those unaware, psx4all is a lightweight handheld PS1 emulator targetting ARM CPU based handhelds such as the GP2X. With a focus on performance and a wide host of talent onboard from many different scenes, it's the one to get the job done.

Normally there would be no issue just going ahead with this project. We have been toying with the idea of a redesigned psx4all specifically for MIPS based handhelds, as opposed to current our current ARM Dynarec based emulator. But with Popstation out, will a commercial emulator prevail over homebrew?

The psx4all team member ZodTTD wants readers to give feedback on what truly matters to PSP users. Based on feedback at www.zodttd.com you can determine whether this project sees the light of day!

Direct Link To Article Here

Direct Link To Homepage Here

Ah, this is excellent. Finally a homebrew PS1 emulator is back in the scene...
    Best of luck with this one!

GP2X Coder

Thank you. All feedback is welcome.

Yes that's great!
    let's show to sony how homebrew developers rule the scene!

Blog Entries

to be honest popstation is very decent but at the end of the day its not homebrew, when u look at it its basically a naughty way to run sonys full speed psx emu but its more rewarding to have a homebrew coded emulator.

Plus you can have in time more features than sonys

DCEmu Old Pro

Well, I don't think you'll get near the performance level of pops, but I wish you luck - will be good to have a legal PS1 emulator.

Cloudy

This is great news. We know that POPStation is nearly perfect at the moment, but some competition or other choice is not bad at all. I know this can be good now, way batter than before, maybe using some of the ideas of the Sony's emulator can help? But at least we know that full speed PSX emulation on PSP is possible, so hope is all we need.

Besides, there is something that I like more from PS1P than POPSLoader, and it is that we don't have to convert the isos/roms to Eboots to play them, so this could be very convenient and cool. Good luck!

GP2X Coder

Hi Wraggster.

Agreed. It will be nice to see PSP user's support a legal homebrew project over a patched up commercial emulator from Sony. Whether they will, is to be seen.

There's some ideas in mind to get much better performance out of a homebrew PS1 emulator. Previous attempts were just ports. Hlide and I have been discussing build another ground-up emulator for both ARM and MIPS, specifically for handhelds. With a dynarec, GU support, and VFPU support, we might be able to bring some more true quality. We have the talent to pull this off. Hlide is a master of the VFPU, and has begun writing a PS1 emulator with the PSP in mind from the ground up, including a dynarec. With Anonymous Coder and I we can give this a good go. Unai may be busy but if he's interested, his work is always appreciated. His software rasterizer won't be used in this case, but he may want to contribute elsewhere. He's extremely talented as proven with Chankast.

GP2X Coder

Yes, true DarthPaul. No conversion would be required. No strange workarounds of legality either.

I'm happy to hear this, if they can get up to Sony's performance in PSX emulator I'll definatly make the switch. They will of course will have to implement some great features to appeal to me though. I was very excited for this emulator when it was first released, and then Sony released they're emulator and just knocked the legs from under this project. Glad to see it's picked itself backup and plans to stand high once again.

edit: Damn it's been so long since I did the PSX emulation thing, but memory conservation wise is it better to have the eboots or the ISO's, which one could we compress more?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information