Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo drop support for the NES

General games Nintendo drop support for the NES

via Play.tm

Those of you who still own a working NES will have to take extra special care of it from now on. Nintendo have announced they’re no longer offering support for the old favourite.

The report, first noticed by Arcade Renaissance, also says that Nintendo have plans to start winding down support for the Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Gameboy, and Gameboy Pocket consoles in the future.

We're not quite sure what 'support' means, would Nintendo have still repaired your NES if asked up till recently? However, with the huge number of emulators and retro compilations available, not to mention download services like the Wii's Virtual Console and Xbox Live Marketplace, there's still plenty of ways to enjoy the massive back catalogue of old-school titles from all those consoles.

We'd love to hear from you if you still own an ancient console; do you ever actually get it out and use it? I have to admit my old Spectrum +2 remains safely packed away in the loft.

Wow. I didn't know they still repaired them anyway. I guess they don't now. Wonder what happened to mine...

DCEmu Legend

psp NesterJ saves the day!!!

Thank you Ruka for NesterJ.

I have version 1.11 running very nicely on my Slim PSP.

Thank you Nintendo for being such a pioneer in the 80's and giving us the timeless NES.

I haven't used my NES in a long time, maybe a year. I just moved though, and I found a very good used games store that sells a lot of classic games, including NES games. I think I'll be picking some up pretty soon.

Wow

never knew they still had support for those systems these past few years 0_0

but ya,I still have my old n64, sold my SNES long time ago though

and ya, thankful for the coders!!!!

DCEmu Newbie

Hmmm...I played my NES every now and again when I was still living in Australia, but I tended to play my SNES more (when I wasn't playing my PS2 and GC). But, I think because I'd already finished all the good NES games released in Oz.
    However, I play NES games in Japan from time to time on my DS with PocketNES

I still play my SNES.
    There's just something about playing Super Metroid and Contra fullscreen.

I still play on a NES when I get drunk at my friend Tim's house.
    Super Mario 3...so many good times before we found Guitar Hero.

DCEmu Newbie

I still have and use my NES. As a matter of fact, it is hooked up in my dorm's suite area, along with a PS2 and a Gamecube, and my SNES. We play it sometimes, I beat the original Legend of Zelda on it the other day.

DCEmu Regular

just shows how committed nintendo are to there games in general if they still support so many old systems, or did till now!

Then again they probably charged a hefty amount for the service.

paul

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    Thank you Ruka for NesterJ.

I have version 1.11 running very nicely on my Slim PSP.

Thank you Nintendo for being such a pioneer in the 80's and giving us the timeless NES.
    You mean you thank Darren Ranalli, Takeda Toshiya, and Mikami Kana ? Authors of Nester, unofficial Nester, and NesterJ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information