Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Premium Menbers WTF

umm, how do you guys pay for this site? just wondering, i'd be glad to donate afew paypal bucks!

Blog Entries

dont worry we are free and proud of it

DCEmu Newbie

Yep, they deleted BLOGS (cause I suggested this site, my file archive (www.psparchive.de, no news, just plain files... but better sorted than at the pspupdates) and it was really funny looking at the mysteriously disappearing threads at their site...)

Well, what should I tell? The site is a commercial owned by Jonathan Yantis... if you search google a bit, he made a fortune with MMORPGs. His site is mysupersales.com, and he got hired from ige.com (whooaah! These are the two sites that you get 10% off as a PSPUpdates.com premium member... what a great deal they pulled off!)

Every link to other sites or ad blockers does commercially harm them, that's why they deleted it.

I just hate commercial homebrew sites - commercial and homebrew just doesn't fit together.

EDIT: About money... well, at my GP32x File Archive , I easily get 70 US$ a month (which I donate to the devs ), that with just one google ad and 25000 downloads a month (PSPUdates.com has 40x the downloads).
    And the GP32 is a minor handheld, so you can have much more with a PSP.
    You get good, own dedicated server with 5 TB traffic for 100 US$.
    So, if you get 100 US$ a month, you can easily host a site.

Now, a bit speculation:
    PSPUpdates: 2,5 TB traffic for the files (you can see it in the statistics), approx. 0,5 TB for the boards. That's 3 TB. A 100 US$ server is enough.

Now: I have 70 US$ a month with 25000 downloads and a single ad.
    They have 40x downloads and lots of ads (and popups, etc.).
    As they get for EACH popup (not just for clicked ones!), you can speculate they get about 100 - 400 times as much money as I do.
    That's about 7000 - 21000 US$. Nice, eh?

DCEmu Newbie

i got my psp about 2-3 weeks ago and I was looking for a "scene" site similiar to what xbox-scene.com is to the xbox, so I searched on google and i found www.psphacker.com, i remember going there and I was amazed at how far I had to scroll to get to the news and then each news article was sepated by no less than 4 google adds each!!!!!! i was like "wtf???"

the news posts were weak and the download sections were not great either and then some how, luckily I found this site and it was like a breath of fresh air! I could actually read the news and get the files i wanted! this is hands down the best psp site i have found so far!

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by RedKing14CA
    umm, how do you guys pay for this site? just wondering, i'd be glad to donate afew paypal bucks!
    i'm fairly sure that the ring of sites actually generates more money than they cost because of all the ads.

Blog Entries

up to 21000 $

surely no site can earn that much?

those bloody popups get past google also

PSP Coder

you all fail to realize it was a plan from the start.

You establish a blogspot guide and begin adding all forms of whatever free ads you can (there's everything fro spanish gambling to standard google ads)
    you increase it day to day as you also build up a "following", and magically you're offering the ability to remove these ads for $2.99!

From the beginning this was all in the plans, it's just a damn shame any time someone mentioned it (me?), they (me?) were simply seen as a loser who had no grounds for hating a site. (oh and my IP was banned from the site PS2nfo style, technically it's well within my right as a programmer to request they remove all programs featuring any code by me, including RIN and NesterJ)

It's ignorance at its best there... any site that withint 10 weeks of homebrew development has the balls to ask for money from people (and has people stupid enough to think it's okay visiting it) is just a cancer on the scene.

My advice to anyone who thinks $2.99 is FINE to donate to these people who peddle FREE INFO (we refresh IGN.COM and the authors' homepages and then post about it! #1 source!), NO EXCLUSIVES (hell, half the releases are taken from this forum, and the others are ps2dev and pspwiki, just bookmark those 3 places), and IGNORANT STAFF (they had no ****ing clue what a MSX was for Christ's sake!):

donate your $2.99 a month to Mirakichi, ruka, y, ps2dev guys, sougen, etc... and show TRUE support of the PSP scene.
    Support PSPHacker shows no support whatsoever of anyone.
    Hell, even "y" of SNES9x has declared no support of them, and they sent this "liason" to his forums posting in Japanese sucking up to him. Add him to a list including ruka and Mirakichi and WAB's team, etc.

Yet people still think paying them is a good idea? Jeez.
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T : the proper places and people deserve it

DCEmu Newbie

I, too, was one of the guys who thought they were commercial from the start...

I'm glad you coder also dislike the site... oh, and about the offer from PSPUpdates.com:
    Any PSP Coder can get a subdomain with HTML, PHP, CGI, POP3, etc., without ANY ads for free at my site (www.psparchive.de)
    I just don't speak any japanese so I don't know where to tell it... but, Smiths, if anyone ever needs some space, you can give him my eMail ([email protected])

Man, looking at other, great sites, such as this one, emuholic or pdroms, which support devs where they can as a hobby, for free, it really makes me sick seeing how the PSPUpdates have all the users... well, the only thing that brightens me up a bit:
    They also have a lot of geeks there...

EDIT: Hmm... supporting the devs...
    Some may know my "Clicks for Devs" from the GP32x community...
    Each month, a dev is voted by the users (it has to be one who hasn't been voted before), and he gets ALL the money I make from the single google banner on my page... I'm wondering if I should start the same for the PSP community... what do you think?

DCEmu Newbie

Oh, btw, check out my thread at the PSPUpdates.com boards.
    I wonder when it will be closed down...

http://www.pspupdates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5993

Blog Entries

i would gladly have a seperate donation button/link on every coders release page so that if people wanted to donate they could

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information