Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Premium Menbers WTF

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenIpaq
    You may be running two servers, but did those two servers have a total of 2 terabytes+ of total downloads, support their users with one of the biggest PSP communitys (14,000+ members and no ads on the forums), and offer 24/7 news coverage? As many people have posted in the PSPU forums, just get an ad-blocker, but I don't because I support the site and what they are doing. the monthly fee is for however long you want (2 months, 3 months, you choose if you want to donate).
    I could tell you so many more sites that don't do this. GaiaOnline (which I'm sure has more bandwidth usage) only has 1 ad a page, and its not every page. They accept donations but thats it. They have no popups, no "between pages" ads, no ads with sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno
    I could tell you so many more sites that don't do this. GaiaOnline (which I'm sure has more bandwidth usage) only has 1 ad a page, and its not every page. They accept donations but thats it. They have no popups, no "between pages" ads, no ads with sounds.
    GaiaOnline is just a forum community, while PSPU has more (less users, but still a lot of traffic and downloads). GaiaOnline does not seem to have any downloads, justa forum community of 32,000 users.

Blog Entries

OK heres the thing , we know ads are needed on sites to care for costs, all websites know this but the bloody popups arent needed and also the premium member thing is rubbish.

Me and other sites have brought up this issue so that PSPupdates cares for its visitors, i see over at their forum you say you dont like this site :P

Do the right thing by your visitors and ditch the popups and the premium thing.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenIpaq
    GaiaOnline is just a forum community, while PSPU has more (less users, but still a lot of traffic and downloads). GaiaOnline does not seem to have any downloads, justa forum community of 32,000 users.
    32k? Yes, that's about the avg online, but the total is 2mil users. And yes GaiaOnline has downloads, flash games and more. "just a forum community" is not GaiaOnline.

DCEmu Newbie

Well, as said, I also run a server.
    A complete dedicated server including 5 TB Traffic nowadays costs 100 US$.
    2 TB traffic isn't even half of that.

How come they make -1000 US$?

prem membership is fine with me. but basically requiring it to even surf the site is stupid. there's no reason to have all those popup's. you can make plenty off ad's without pissing off the user. and if they're losing 1k a month..then they're doing something wrong and need to rethink things

OK NEW NEWS FOR ALL YOU "AD HATERS"

Goodbye Popups!

Thanks to all you guys who have signed up for a Premium Membership on the site, we are proud to announce that we will no longer have popups on the blog or forums! (note that non-premium members will still see normal ads, just no annoying popups).

We want to give a special thanks to everyone who has signed up for a Premium Membership – know that your money is being put to good use keeping this site up and adding more features all the time.

Just think, a few months ago we were just a simple blog, but we have added so many new features to the site:

– An extremely active community forum
    – A PSP files section with every legal file you could possibly want for PSP for free
    – An image gallery with 100’s of backgrounds and icons for free
    – The introduction of many new “updates” console clone sites in our network
    – Site and forum redesigns
    – 24/7 news coverage

By signing up for a Premium Membership you guys have helped contribute to our growth and development of future features for the site. Thank You!

We are aware that there has been some negative reaction to the Premium Members feature –– and we knew there would be, because hey — you can’t keep everyone happy. But we would like to reiterate that we aren’t charging for any content. All content on the site is available to everyone. Premium or not. We are offering some perks that some users might find attractive enough to warrant spending a few bucks to help support future site growth.

If don’t want to be a Premium Member – that’s ok! We will still work just as hard to bring you the best news first. If you do want to help contribute to the growth of this site and enjoy the perks of a Premium Membership, then great! You can read about the perks and sign up by clicking [here].

Also, expect more and more perks to be added to the Premium benefits. incidentally, we are going to be announcing the first contest/raffle/giveaway for a 1GB Memory Stick for our Premium Members in the next couple of days, so stay tuned. We are still working

Blog Entries

Getting rid of the popups is a good thing but why not have a paypal thing instead of the premiuim charge thing.

Just remember i dont hate PSPUpdates infact Clay comes acrosshas being quite decent but the whole premium member thing is a slap in the face to the scene and your valued members.

I've been across the web and I have to say this, PSPUpdates is the most ad ridden and congested of popups/script ads/etc I have ever seen in my life. And I'm not about to pay to get rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno
    I've been across the web and I have to say this, PSPUpdates is the most ad ridden and congested of popups/script ads/etc I have ever seen in my life. And I'm not about to pay to get rid of them.
    Did you even read/go to the front page of PSPU, no more pop-up ads from what I hear...

Wraggster, I remember hearing a reason why not to implent pay-pal for the donation instead of Premium Members. Anyways with this "Premium donating" the users get something back in return: giveaways, raffles, special forum privledges that were not available before, and more stuff. I have not tried out the new no-ad front page yet. And yeah, Clay does seem like a nice guy from what I have come across with him.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information