Thread: when i turn my DC on all I get is a black screen

DCEmu Newbie

Default when i turn my DC on all I get is a black screen

i recently bought a dreamcast via ebay. when i plugged the A/V cables into my TV and turn it on, nothing showed up on my screen. I went through all the inputs, and tried channel 3. I also tried another TV to see if that was it. It wasn't, I can't seem to get the audio or video to do anything.

This was with nothing in the dreamcast, I hadn't tried to put a game or music cd in yet. Is this problem known, common, am I doing something wrong, or did I just get a busted DC??

thanks

Could be. However, you really should get a RGB SCART cable to try it out again. Also, for the case your DC really does not work (I don't think that'll the case), you could still use the RGB SCART connector for the next DC you buy: the picture quality will be like a dream using that cable. A broken DC is still of use for some people, so for the case you do not get it to work via the RGB SCART cable, please try to re-sell it at ebay.

Im interested in broken DC's for parts, however this doesnt sound broken.

Just to clarify the cables your using are three RCA plugs, yellow, white and red, yes?

Firstly, check you're on the right channel, why would you try channel 3? if your TV has a scart then the AV will probably be called something like EXT 2, if not then it will be called AV1. I'm sure you're probably plugging it in right but some people make stupid mistakes

To check if the plugs are making a connection with ground, plug the red and white into an amp or hi-fi and see when you turn the DC on if your getting any sound at least, if not then the cable is not making a connection with ground on the DC end.

Its possibly a bad connection, i had a PS2 AV cable that had its ground pin slightly bent inwards so made a random contact - flickering. Check that the little silver bits on the DC side are visible and all the same length. Also check the DC console AV port for any dirt, or gunk that would stop a contact.

Try this and get back to me.

DCEmu Newbie

thanks for the responses. I tried all the AV things, in one TV I have three and the other I tried it only had one. I'll check the cables when I get home (I'm at work now) and see if there is any gunk on it. thanks

Well, if it only has one then you're definately on the right channel

Like i said check the sound as it really sounds like there is no grounding on the DC end of cable.

You could easily check if the DC is broken, open it up and get down to the mobo, where the AV port is there are some small blobs of solder perfect for sodlering a cable to. Use a stripped AV cable and solder the ground wire to the ground on the PSU. Then the signal wire to pin 13, theres a diagram in the internal VGA topic below this - it will show where pin 13 is on the blobs of solder.

Need any more help just ask.

Thread Information