Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Angband 3.0.6 for PSP v0.1

DCEmu Newbie

Great job gendal and abszero, I love roguelikes and these games are some of the best out there! However, there is one slight problem with angband which I find quite irritating: whenever I'm browsing through the online help and I start scrolling for 5 seconds or so with the dpad, the game freezes and the only thing I can do is bring up the OSK. This really sucks because it led to the untimely loss of one of my longer-running characters (I'm not very good at these games yet so I can't say it's a huge loss either...). Now I know I could have just pressed space a couple of times, but still... If there's an easy way to fix this for the next version I'd be very grateful.

Anyway, keep up the good work guys. It's amazing to see how much you've done in so little time, and we all really appreciate it. Are there any other roguelikes which you're planning on porting to the PSP in the future (please say Nethack *#prays*)

PSP Coder

I also ported ToME (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8179), which I had never played before. It's hard to get started as a melee with v2.3.1 but once you do it's a blast. Basically if it's a variant of Angband chances are it can be ported fairly easily.

Nethack is probably my least favorite roguelike, but I know I am in the small minority there. I briefly looked into porting it and while the source directory structure is very pretty, it's code is so sprinkled with cryptic ifdef's that it's going to take me awhile to decipher it. I still want to do it, but ToME is totally sucking me in atm =)

As far as crashing goes I haven't been able to replicate it, both of them have been very stable for me, and I use the help quite a bit in both ToME and Angband. You are using v.4 right? If not get it post haste, since it's much faster in the help system than .3.

DCEmu Newbie

Hey guys, great work on Angband. I was wondering if there were any plans to add sprite support for this game? I've seen it on other versions of Angband and it makes the game look great. I'd be willing to create the sprites as well if this feature would be implemented.

Would anyone else be interested?

PSP Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Smackwell
    Hey guys, great work on Angband. I was wondering if there were any plans to add sprite support for this game? I've seen it on other versions of Angband and it makes the game look great. I'd be willing to create the sprites as well if this feature would be implemented.

Would anyone else be interested?
    I was going to add some sprites but then it occured to me Abszero had to make/find and customize his own 6x8 font. Since the chars are only 6 across that means you get a full 80x34 term size on the PSP, and you can't go below 80x24 with out making bad things happen with Angband. So I am not making any promises about sprite support, but if you can show me a decent 6x8 sprite set I will look into it.

DCEmu Newbie

Sure thing. What kind of colors do I have to work with?

DCEmu Newbie

Okay here's a quick mockup I made with a few different characters. 6x8 is truly not a whole lot to work with, but it seems to look fine, actually.

This doesn't look amazing on the computer screen, but drop it into your Photo folder on your PSP and check it out. The icons are actually big enough on the PSP screen to make them out. What do you guys think?

DCEmu Newbie

Here's another that I overlaid onto an original screenshot of the game (see the first page for comparison).

PSP Coder

Even though it might not look it, Angband is currently using 32 bits on the PSP so you have plenty of colors to work with. As you noticed though, 6x8 is not much to work with. Still, looks suprisingly good.

Bug report: From the last dev ver you sent me to the real .4, somehow the macro system got changed. It moved the macros from the game's root directory to the lib directory, and now no longer remembers my changes. (I like setting the default to Open Door.)

PSP Coder

Yep, I moved the macrso.txt from the main directory to under lib, I ment to make a note of that in the readme so people wouldn't get confused but I plum forgot =( I didn't do it out of spite though =), it was just much easier to keep it under there when I removed all the harcoded paths.

Other than it should work, I just double checked on my psp and it seems to be working fine. Course that's with the latest dev copy, but I am fairly sure I haven't changed anything related to that inbetwen .4 and now.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information