Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PSP Quake 1 ver. 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Neel View Post
    Can someone please explain to me which version to use?

From what I can gather, the graphics in HW rendering are better. What about user mode or kernal mode?
    HW - runs smoothly at 222 mhz while SW sometimes staggers even at 333,plus HW has superb image quality.

KM - Kernel Mode - for use with the 1.5 kernel. If you have a fat PSP with kernel 1.5 available you can run both KM and UM versions.

UM - User Mode - for kernels 2++. If you have a fat psp on the newest 3.71 m33 firmware and you didn't install the 1.50 addon, then use this. Use this as well if you have the slim PSP.

cya
    Raziel-chan

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel-chan View Post
    Just one question - is the lack of visual deformation underwater a flaw of glQuake itself, or this port?
    glQuake did have 'underwater warping' but it just did no look very good (you could see some ugly gaps between polygons)

DCEmu Newbie

Thanks a lot.

Quake now looks so much nicer. When I compare it to the old psp Quake, I wonder how I managed to play it. Will try the mp3 feature later.

Quote Originally Posted by Neel View Post
    Can someone please explain to me which version to use?

From what I can gather, the graphics in HW rendering are better. What about user mode or kernal mode?
    If you could run all versions then I would recommend using user mode with HW rendering.

In user mode it is possible to access kernel mode plugins like JoySens which are unaccessible in kernel mode.

HW rendering is faster and looks better however it use some memory as texture cache which means that internal quake heap is smaller.
    As a result of this some mods will only run in SW rendering because they need more heap memory than standard quake.

Ahh, so that's the case.

Anyway, I think that it should be pointed out in the readme that adding tracks and switching music on increases the requirements and that the game should be played on 333 mhz then to be smooth.

The game choked on a VBR mp3 with ABR at 136. While one such track was okay for the main menu, while the console was sliding up at the beginning of the starting level it slowed down to a one frame per second slide show while looping a distorted one or two second-long fragment of the track. After the console window disappeared it stayed that way.
    After conversion to 192 kbit CBR it's fine, but, still, to be smooth it has to be played on 333 mhz (HW version).

I don't know what causes it, but it somehow makes psp's own ghosting worse in some cases - maybe it's the game's refresh rate.

Sometimes shadows have Z-buffer problems - flickering, partially disappearing, e.t.c. So far it happened in one place only - the first episode, under the ledge where you can get by shooting the screen on the column by the first exploding box in the game.

Otherwise, it's near-perfect. I can't believe how smooth it runs with music on on 333mhz - even when a grenade explodes into your face it does not slow down, plus now it's real 480x272, not stretched 320x240.

Oh, one more problem - sometimes the games seems to have problems loading sounds when the music is on. Like when you pick up a box of amo - it halts for a fraction of a second while loading the sound. Are the levels loaded on the fly or preloaded?

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Are you considering updating the Hexen II port? I can't get it to run on my slim psp, even with eloader. Just asking :3

cya
    Raziel-chan

This is a fantastic port of glquake, thanks for making an old favourite look its best on the PSP.
    HW_KM runs great on my 1.5 PSP.

Holy $hit! Thanks Brother! Works Great! So Far.. So Good!

DCEmu Newbie

:thumbup: Super Nice Job! Awesome, super clear graphics A+, I am definitely impressed. :thumbup:

Can you tell me how i can get the old light from
    peterm?

i have created lots of maps but i donīt placed lights on the map.

with PeterMs engine you donīt need to place lights.

i have downloaded your source can you tell which file i must edit?

OMFG WOW... I'm shocked... That's what i've been waiting for from PSP-scene for the last 2 years...
    jurajstyk - Impressive work!!! Did you modify offical Quake V2 sources, or used Quake V3 beta as a base?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information