Thread: Study shows that parents avoid playing video games with their kids

Blog Entries

General games Study shows that parents avoid playing video games with their kids

So here's a logical reaction: Parents who don't approve of their children's video game habits, instead of playing with them, simply voice their resentment of games and then look the other way. Makes sense, right? Right?

The results of a poll released by the Associated Press and AOL Games show that 43% of parents never join or even watch their children playing video games. The AP's coverage is peppered with the oh-so-normal parental sound-bytes in response to gaming, calling it a waste of time, and claiming that the violence and obsession are unhealthy for young kids.

What we don't get is if the parents are so concerned over what their kids are playing, then why aren't they paying closer attention? It seems that John Davison's latest venture couldn't come soon enough.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/13/st...with-their-ki/

I avoid my mum when playing games, she finds them quite offensive with all the violence ect. Step dad loves them though so we often have a two player game of something or other. namely COD 4 of which i always win haha :P

DCEmu Newbie

You can't believe theese studies, they aren't accurate. It's impossible to reachout to everyone. I play games with my kids every week. They range from 5-17 yrs. old. Been gaming with them since the 17 year old could hold a joystick.

Parents avoid playing video games with their kids?
    Back in the day, me and my dad used to play Tekken 3 non stop when he got back from work. Oh the old days.....
    -Xiofire

Yeah, but that's just you three. These studies could actually be accurate, but based on your own experiences you don't believe them.

my cousin gets all of his consoles from his dad who gets them for him for no reason.
    he just gets them for him.
    he even buys him games whenever he feels like it.
    he gave him his old xbox cause he got a 360.

and i doubt this study is accurate.

Right on, lightningquickguy.
    Y'know, if I had kids, I certainly wouldn't watch THEM play video games. That'd be boring!

i dont play with the kids because then I end up playing the game 5 seconds after boot, cause all they care about is some crappy disney characters dancing around some gender ambiguous square nobody's while telling me every single move i need to make eventho they refuse to play

so the rule is, if you want to play it your going to figure it out yourself, or come to me so we can look it up on the net ...
    if you dont want to do that, dont bother with it ... go read a book its better for you anyway

maby when they get older (like almost adults) ill game with them

Thread Information