Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Yabause for PSP Released - Sega Saturn Emulator for PSP

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by da1writer View Post
    Dude, who cares what the two morons above you think, they aren't devs! They are merely people who want to be spoon fed items instead of understanding how they are done.

Direct Conversation to the two upset people above Exophase: If this was ported (which it most likely is) it was just that. Ported to see if it could be done and SofiyaCat knew that and so many of us as well. Will it ever be full speed, as a developer myslef, no would be my answer.

To put it in your lamens terms to be understood, Who here in the PSP homebrew scene made PSX full speed? NO ONE but Sony themselves. I believe exophase will agree with me that the sega Saturn was actually very similar to the PSX console when it came to graphics and power, yet no dev in the PSP scene has made a full speed PSX emu and Saturn surely will be in the same shoes.

Notaz was only able to do Sega CD emulation due to the fact that Sega CD emulation is actually very easy to port and optimize. He also is very skilled in his Picodrive due to the fact he merged 2 to 3 emu's in one and had practice on PSP's somewhat similar otherself (not really), the GP2x. He has also been making Picodrive for about 2 years, so of course it's going to run very well. Could 32x emulation be added, certainly, more likely down the road though.

Think and meditate for a second of this argument... will sega saturn emulation ever reach full speed? If a regular dev couldn't make PSX emulation fast (compared to Sony's PSX emu), don't expect Saturn emulation to be any better. To point out more info, look at the difference between Exophases gPSP which was built from the ground up and then look at ZX-81's VBA port. Which one runs better? The one that was built from the ground up. Sometimes porting works but building a emu from the ground up of advanced systemspops out better results. So if someone took two or more years in creating a Saturn emu from the ground up, maybe things would be better...

Finally, You guys who are arguing over this are pretty arrogant too. You actually have the balls to stand up to one of THEE greatest Dev there is on the PSP scene, Exophase of all people?! Do you know how StrmnNrmn is getting so far in developing a near perfect N64 emu, Exophase is helping him (through conversations online I believe). I also believe that Exophase also helped out Notaz in getting Picodrive running better as well. Exophase actually has helped out tons of people and released a GBA emu that was built from the ground up and is Perfect (exception to a few games not working)! Please think before you speak, you aren't a dev. I do see your point that maybe within time programs on PSP do mature and grow to become even better with each new release but this Sega Saturn emu just isn't one of them...

P.S. Exophase, your donation has been sent, hopefully it helps !
    1. I am not an idiot, I know that it will never hit fullspeed, and I listen to what people say about the matter.
    2. I don't care about saturn emulation, I never had or played a saturn.
    3. I know who exophase is.

If someone made a 10fps saturn emu that would be achievement enough, what's the big deal about it always having to be fullspeed?

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by andwhyisit View Post
    If someone made a 10fps saturn emu that would be achievement enough, what's the big deal about it always having to be fullspeed?
    Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    If this thing managed 10fps then there would be some sort of discussion to be made. 2-3 is more like it.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Rookie

I was talking about if a 10fps saturn emulator was made in the future (on both occasions), not the current release.

Quote Originally Posted by Exophase View Post
    Harsh as I might seem you've gotta realize something - the one who did this port, she ain't reading this forum. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't know English at all. I'm not saying these things to tell her off because she's not gonna see it.
    Would it have stopped you if she did? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Exophase View Post
    This is all for the people who probably normally would know better but stretch their common sense when the possibility of something great comes up. Let it go and look at it for what it is.
    True, I'll keep that in mind.

DCEmu Rookie

1. I am not an idiot, I know that it will never hit fullspeed, and I listen to what people say about the matter.
    2. I don't care about saturn emulation, I never had or played a saturn.
    3. I know who exophase is.

I would like to apologize to you though, my words were pretty harsh and I was only heated over the fact that people were getting excited over nothing. I'm on the same page as Exophase and believe that this Saturn emu will never come to the potential of what people are imagining or near the speed of Sony's PS emu. Unlike Exophase, I have a hard time finding better choice of words sometimes when replying to a subject. Don't take what me and Exophase (along with others) who replied to discourage you, we meant only to point out that Saturn emulation may be possible but not to the form you all are wishing for.

I and a few others are looking at this in a more broader sense of thinking and believe that the potential of this ever coming to the form we all want will most likely not happen, especially since we still haven't managed to get a Saturn Emu even running "well" on a PC. Look at the past years of emu's that were perfected to be near identical to the real. Saturn emu is still having problems, dreamcast emu is as well, and lets not go into the last gen console emus...

Also take into account that the person who is porting these already imperfect console emus from PC with just ONE release. It makes you wonder, did she just port them to show that it could be done? Most likely this is the case because she has not stopped by the forums (or any forum for that matter that is english), posted up only one release (no updates), and is not being supported by any of the devs in the PSP scene (which shows that they know something that few of you don't).

I for one could care less about sega saturn emulation due to the fact that I cared less about the real console itself. The only sega consoles that interested me were the Gamegear, Genesis (all 3 versions), CD portion, 32x portion, and the Dreamcast.

As mentioned before, I did not mean to offend anyone, I just want to let people know that they shouldn't hold your breath for this one. Full speed is important to all of us (you can notice the fact with recent emu's coming out for the PSP like Picodrive) and this emu... just never will become full speed, sorry but it's the truth.

@To those speaking of ps1 emulation: I'm not entirely sure, but I think that Sony's PS2 emulator at least partially relies on virtualization. After all, PSP's cpu is of the same overall family, but much newer (psx - mips r3k-based, psp - r4k-based).

As psp has no hardware commons with saturn, it is much harder to make an emulator for it, even without taking into account the hardware complexity of sega's console.

cya
    Raziel-chan

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by da1writer View Post
    As mentioned before, I did not mean to offend anyone, I just want to let people know that they shouldn't hold your breath for this one. Full speed is important to all of us (you can notice the fact with recent emu's coming out for the PSP like Picodrive) and this emu... just never will become full speed, sorry but it's the truth.
    That's cool, as long as no-one is offended/flamed for releasing something then I have no problem.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel-chan View Post
    @To those speaking of ps1 emulation: I'm not entirely sure, but I think that Sony's PS2 emulator at least partially relies on virtualization. After all, PSP's cpu is of the same overall family, but much newer (psx - mips r3k-based, psp - r4k-based).

As psp has no hardware commons with saturn, it is much harder to make an emulator for it, even without taking into account the hardware complexity of sega's console.

cya
    Raziel-chan
    As far as everything I know tells me, you still can't do virtualization unless the hardware directly supports it. Any other intermediate step is just effective dynarec.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Coder

Would it have stopped you if she did? No.
    I probably would have responded very differently if there was an opportunity to actually talk to the person doing this instead of just seeing it from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by andwhyisit
    It's subjective, but I personally won't play a game that can't maintain real-time speed, unless it doesn't destroy the music (if that happens then chances are it's being emulated in a weird way). Some people will tolerate some games if it runs within half speed, maybe, but that's pushing it. Why would anyone want to play a game at 1/6th speed? I doubt anyone would except to say that they have, most people are excited about slow emulators because they think they'll one day be fast (believe speed is the easy part). Other than that the only appeal is novelty value which shouldn't really be worth anything, like showing DS fans a poorly running DS emulator on PSP just to try to show them up...

quzar is right about virtualization. PSP's CPU is missing several things necessary to provide it, the most important being an MMU. PSP is however powerful enough to emulate PS1, it just requires a very good emulator. Saturn has so much more parallel hardware that it's not even in the same league of complexity as PS1 even if the games weren't usually more impressive. It's kind of a jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://gpsp-dev.blogspot.com/

I haven't quit gpSP, just put it on hiatus for a while.

Games like Super Mario Advance 3, Riviera and Sword of Mana actually DO work in gpSP, believe it or not. If they don't work for you then you're using the faulty BIOS. Don't argue with me, it's true; the sooner you accept this the sooner you can move on.

As far as everything I know tells me, you still can't do virtualization unless the hardware directly supports it. Any other intermediate step is just effective dynarec.
    ... I just notices that I wrote 'ps2' instead of 'ps1'.

Well, maybe I named it wrong - the thing is that the psp cpu probably shares some, if not many, instruction sets with the ps1 one, so its easier to emulate it than a completely different one (Two different ones, to be exact).

cya
    Raziel-chan

will this work on 3.71 M33-3 Slim

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information