Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A letter to sony regaurding UMD's

Exclamation A letter to sony regaurding UMD's

Dear PlayStation, I have recently acquired a PSP handheld system, and 2 32mb memory sticks... it is a truly extraordinary device, yet before it came out Sony released the UMD... it is suppose to be, and I quote, "common application for everyone" yet there has been some controversy about all this, for the Nintendo DS has a movie player that you can get memory for, much more cheaply, than the PSP... hence forth I researched online, everything I could of what Sony is going to do about this, and I came to a number of people / websites, that said "About the only thing Sony can do to make their video and media on the PSP cheaper, and more efficient, than the Nintendo DS, is by making a UMD burner, however, Sony always charges A LOT of money for their burners, so IF they even release one, expect it to be about 500$"... the Nintendo DS can acquire 2GB of movie/ media for under 100$ extra... so will you release a UMD burner? For you did say "a common application for everyone" so if you want UMD's to be as popular as CD's you will ultimately need a burner, one of the main things making CD's popular...

So why don't you surprise them all, and make millions at the same time, by releasing a UMD burner for about 50-120$, and sell blank UMD's for 20-50$... this way it will work similar to a memory stick, in that when you put it in the PSP, you can go to music and select UMD, or video and select UMD, simple really...

So please, I beg of you, respond to this letter! Millions of people await upon it, and it will draw free attention, if you answer it, in a positive, or negative way

this is my letter to sony, please tell me if you'd like to add anything, or see any mistakes...

I can hear them laughing already

RedKing14CA,
    What you're saying sounds good. But maybe too good to be true. The problem is piracy. I think if they come up with a UMD burner piracy will make the "best" use of it and that's bad. That would affect the developers/publishers of legal software.
    I do hope that I can see a UMD burner one day. But I don't think it will happen any time soon.
    If you have registered your PSP (I did it online) you will get an e-mail to complete a survey about which features you would like added to your PSP. That may be good way to request that too.

No offence, but perhaps you should of worded that letter differantly, then perhaps you may have recieved a reply.

England - don't forget we invented the English language!

I would imagine that there will be a UMD burner eventually.

how about all of us send a letter, then maybe we could recieve a reply lol

power to the people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rest05
    how about all of us send a letter, then maybe we could recieve a reply lol

power to the people!!!
    or at least all of our emails will end up in a spam bin somewhere

Now with Blast Processing! Kaiser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well If Sony doesn't supply a burner chances are that this will be another failed Sony media format. I'd imagine the UMD format would die with the PSP in this case.

On the other end of things it could be an opening to a new porable format. One of the reasons DVD's became the new movie format-of-choice these last 5 years has to do with Sony building a DVD player in the PS2. A typical consumer would probably neve buy a DVD player on its own back then since the prices were quite steep for even the most basic of players. But when this regualr Joe consumer decides its time to buy Sony's newest system and find out it comes with a DVD player it ushered in a new age. when DVD burners became reasonable priced it opened up a whole new possibilites for the format as now the DVD was not just a movie format but a media format.

Sony could strike gold with the UMD if a burner came out. Chances are Sony will spend more time marketing Blu-ray discs and leave the UMD to die with the PSP (5 or 6 years from now). Hell we might see UMD survive on the PSP's successor when the day comes.

England - don't forget we invented the English language!

If Sony want the UMD to become a 'standard' then they will have to produce a burner.

If not, as Kaiser says, it will just die a death.

the same way DVD took/taking over VHS, UMD will eventually take over DVD and CD, considering the unversal media part, there are many application, music, vids, etc. , so a real good move for sony would be to make a home UMD player (for vids or movies), and then market the UMD's for all aplications not just for PSP

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information