Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Confirms Trademark for 'Potential Future Use' of Dreamcast

Dreamcast Sega Confirms Trademark for 'Potential Future Use' of Dreamcast

via GameDaily

Last week, a newly updated Dreamcast trademark sparked rumors across the Internet that Sega might be looking at possibly creating a Dreamcast 2. At the time, Sega of America PR Director Charlie Scibetta immediately told GameDaily BIZ that Sega "has no plans to get back into the console business."

Today we received a new statement that explains in part why Sega actually updated the trademark. "SEGA has no plans to get back into the hardware business, but we also want to protect our past and current brands. The trademark application was filed to protect our current and potential future use of the word DREAMCAST and to prevent other parties from using it in a way that could be confused or linked with SEGA," Scibetta said.

While Sega has made no explicit comments regarding further digital distribution of Dreamcast titles, certain Dreamcast games have already appeared on GameTap, and from a business standpoint it would seem to make sense to make select Dreamcast classics available on services like Xbox Live or PlayStation Network. Protecting the trademark "for potential future use" leaves that door open as a possibility for the future.

That said, some of Sega's big properties saw previous releases on the Dreamcast, and when Sega releases a new game in the same franchise on the current consoles, the trademark simply protects their reference to an old Dreamcast version as well. We highly doubt Sega will ever launch another console, but digital distribution of Dreamcast games does seem like an attractive avenue.

This has to be something about releasing dreamcast games on either Xbox 360 OR ps3.. And Which ever one it hits, im buying that console straight away. no joke.

What does everyone else think?

If only there was Dreamcast 2...

sure if they add achievements to old dc games and compress them under a gig ill be happy to purchase them as long as they are under a reasonable price like 400 - 800 points

Hm, I think we're asking the wrong questions. It's not whether SEGA is going to make a new Dreamcast console. It should be what other games are they making available for Xbox Live?

In case no one's heard, there's going to be downloadable Dreamcast games (at least two confirmed: Ikaruga and Rez) on Xbox Live.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedartifact View Post
    This has to be something about releasing dreamcast games on either Xbox 360 OR ps3.. And Which ever one it hits, im buying that console straight away. no joke.

What does everyone else think?

Quote Originally Posted by fackue View Post
    In case no one's heard, there's going to be downloadable Dreamcast games (at least two confirmed: Ikaruga and Rez) on Xbox Live.
    and Trigger Heart Exelica

wii will probably get some titles too but I doubt as dlc, more likely to be ports as wii is already struggling with its virtual console space on the system.

Acorn Electron User

There's quite a few I'd like to see:

Powerstone 2 - for online 4 player madness
    Phantasy Star online - with the Xbox live support, I'd imagine this would do very well.
    Daytona USA 2001 - pure arcade racing, great if online enabled
    Chu Chu Rocket - perfect for XBLA

They don't have to on XBLA either, I'd be happy to buy a disc with perhaps 10 titles compiled together. I suppose Capcom had enough DC titles to build a good collection, those I can recall being:

Powerstone 1 and 2
    Mars Matrix
    Gunbird 2
    Gigawing 1 and 2
    Capcom Vs SNK 1 and 2
    Marvel Vs Capcom 1 and 2
    Street Fighter 2 and 3
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Tech Romancer
    Project Justice: Rival Schools

Quote Originally Posted by beetroot bertie View Post
    Phantasy Star online - with the Xbox live support,
    This is what Sega DON'T want to do. Didn't you notice PSO Episode I & II for Xbox is not compatible with Xbox 360? It's because Sega want more players for Phantasy Star Universe (which is crap compared to Phantasy Star Online).

While Sega has made no explicit comments regarding further digital distribution of Dreamcast titles
    This makes me think too fast !!!!!!

Anyway , Dreamcast old glories on nextgen consoles vía internet ?

xD
    SH4 Risc LittleEndian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information