Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EEE PC - The Worlds Hottest Laptop and Emulation Center ?

Blog Entries

IRC Chat EEE PC - The Worlds Hottest Laptop and Emulation Center ?

What must be one of the hottest gadgets this xmas is the EEE PC a Mini Laptop thats perfect for Internet and Emulation, heres a fewspecs:

Get the power of a full-sized laptop in the ultra-compact ASUS Eee PC 4G, which offers a full QWERTY keyboard, 7-inch screen, and preinstalled Linux operating system. (This laptop is also compatible with the Microsoft Windows XP operating system.) You'll be able to stay connected to email and the Internet easily thanks to the Wi-Fi LAN (802.11b/g), and communicate via video chat and VoIP with the Webcam integrated into the display's bezel. Because it uses flash memory instead of a hard drive (with 4 GB of storage), the Eee PC is optimal for weathering rough handling and sharing space in overstuffed bags.

With a rapid start-up time, the Eee PC is always ready to get into action.
    For the professional, the Eee PC comes with a powerful selection of software to maximize personal productivity--over 40 built-in applications. The Open Office suite of software enables the user to open, edit and create documents, presentations, spreadsheets and databases that are compatible with Microsoft Office. For journalists, photographers and other professionals who need to use a computer in the field to create, to communicate and to collaborate with other colleagues, the Eee PC's combinati on of power, extreme portability and rugged build makes it the ideal computing solution.

It's also a great choice for young students, with a built-in Dictionary that's great for homework, and it includes two modes of intuitive graphic user interface design to accommodate both experienced and inexperienced PC users. The Eee PC also handles your digital images, movies, and music as well as Internet radio.

No technical manual required with the specially designed, user-friendly, and intuitive graphic interface.
    Compact and highly portable at just 32 ounces, the Eee PC 4G has a 7-inch wide color TFT LCD with an 800 x 480-pixel resolution (WXGA). Under the hood is a 900 MHz Intel Mobile CPU with integrated Intel graphics processor, 512 MB of RAM (not expandable), and 4 GB of solid-state flash memory. With the dependable solid-state disk, you get unparalleled shock-protection and reliability. In addition to its wireless LAN, it also offers wired Fast Ethernet connectivity and a 56K modem. The Eee PC includes software for Web browsing (Firefox), email, OpenOffice 2.0 for creating and editing word processing documents and spreadsheets, and a suite of other productivity software to help keep you on track.

You get three USB 2.0 ports, a VGA output for connecting to external monitors, headphone and microphone jacks, and a Secure Digital (SD) memory card slot. The Eee PC measures 8.9 x 6.5 x 1.4 inches, and it weighs 32 ounces. The 4-cell, 5200 mAh battery provides up to 3.5 hours of battery life (depending on usage). It's backed by a 1 year warranty for parts and labor.

On Sale now at Amazon. Com

Could this be the perfect toy for those who want Snes, Megadrive, GBA, Playstation and N64 Emulation on the Go?

Let us know via Comments

looks sleek but the specs aren't totally unreal. Only 4 gb internal storage? Not compatible for running vista? and only have a gig of ram which isn't expandable?

It looks very nice and its pretty cool that it is so small... but If I want internet I'll use my laptop... if I want emulation I'll use my PSP

Click on the sig above to visit The Playground

anyone got any idea as to UK prices on these things? im seriously considering getting one

DCEmu Pro

It would be great if it was about $200 cheaper. As is, a crappy Wal-Mart laptop is much better, for roughly the same price range.

As Qmark said, unless your mostly after the extremely portable form factor (and dont mind the cramped keyboard and trackpad) then a cheap standard laptop for only a cpl $100 more and you get at least a 40gb hdd, cd/dvd burner, bigger screen with a much better resolution, bigger keyboard etc.

I doubt the onboard gfx would be particularly great for gaming, older emulators would be ok but anything requiring hardware gfx acceleration (64, PS1 etc) would probably be out.

DCEmu Regular

It's limits for emulation is probably GBA and SNES. If it could pull off N64 I'd be very surprised.

Until someone actually does that, I think I'll stay with my Macbook and PSP for portable emulation. At least they can do N64 and PS1.

not so bothered about the emulation side, but i love the form factor and would be great for college

actually, you can expand the memory up to two gigs; do your research!

This can emulate N64 full speed but I'm not sure if it can do that in Linux. If it can do that in Linux then I would be sold on this but I'm not sure if I'm going to get it. If I were to get it then it would be this next summer before I go off to college.

slap ubuntu on that thing and it's a jewel.I have a friend who is getting one of these.For tasks that aren't that processor heavy this thing is great,plus no moving parts.Let's face it guy's the age of spinning disks is drawing to a close.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information