Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yabause 0.9.2 - Sega Saturn Emulator for Windows and Dreamcast

Blog Entries

sat Yabause 0.9.2 - Sega Saturn Emulator for Windows and Dreamcast

News of a new release from the Yabause Team:

This release fixes a number of serious bugs and adds a memory search function to the Windows port. The Windows, Linux and Dreamcast ports are already up along with the source package. The Mac port should be available soon

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

DCEmu Newbie

I'm rather new at this. How does it work? Do I burn it in a cd, boot it on DC, and then put my saturn game? Plus I basicly wanted this for 2 games: Baku Baku Animal and Waku Waku 7, are they compatible?

Thanks in advance.

Don't expect playable speed, too slow.

DCEmu Newbie

That seems to be a problem... Well but how does it work? Do I burn the emulator on a cd first? Or do I burn a cd with the emulator and rom/iso? Well if it is an iso... I have to burn it on a single cd... I think I pretty much answered my on question :P

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

Yabause for the DC is meant to play the original discs. The DC port does not support running things from ISOs (due to the fact that I feel it is pointless on a system where there is no hard drive).
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

is there any way to play a saturn game from the hard drive?

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrab View Post
    Yabause for the DC is meant to play the original discs. The DC port does not support running things from ISOs (due to the fact that I feel it is pointless on a system where there is no hard drive).
    I don't quite get it... So you say it's pointless to make a emulator that plays ISOs burned on a cd. But the DC plays ISOs of DC games, if you have a Boot Disk... Are you expecting people to buy Saturn games at this point in life? If I have to buy Saturn games might as well buy a Saturn, meaning, the whole Saturn emulator for Dreamcast is now useless...

Quote Originally Posted by Zin0099 View Post
    is there any way to play a saturn game from the hard drive?
    On Windows/Linux/Mac OS X, you can use an ISO of the game you want to play. I've never used this method myself, but its possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin_DNA View Post
    I don't quite get it... So you say it's pointless to make a emulator that plays ISOs burned on a cd. But the DC plays ISOs of DC games, if you have a Boot Disk... Are you expecting people to buy Saturn games at this point in life? If I have to buy Saturn games might as well buy a Saturn, meaning, the whole Saturn emulator for Dreamcast is now useless...
    I said its pointless to make an emulator that plays ISO files burned on a disc. I stand by that statement. I also stand by my principles that people should use emulation for legal purposes, so that means using their original discs. While I can not physically prevent people from using an ISO that they burnt to a cd to make it look just like a Saturn game (minus the copy protection ring, of course), I will not support it.

And yes, I do expect people to use original games with Yabause, as it is the only legal way to do it. If you're too cheap to pay about two dollars for a Saturn game, then you're on your own with getting them to work on Yabause. I refuse to support piracy in my releases. That is exactly why the ISO support is gone, and why I won't support people who use "backups" of Saturn games.

Issues like this are why in general, I don't like to work on emulators. However, they are wonderful feats of programming, and very interesting to work on/study, and that's why I continue working on them.
    Sylverant PSO Server

DCEmu Newbie

Well, I do understand your point, but it's like... for my case, I only wanted 2 games, just checked Waku Waku 7 and it costs about 40 bucks, plus the whole trip to come here to Portugal... I don't think so. I can't even find Baku Baku Animal. So... before you call people cheap... please research the avaiability of Saturn games first :\

Besides that, I really understand your point. I normally like to try games before I buy them. But for old games... I don't do that much...

Quote Originally Posted by Shin_DNA View Post
    Well, I do understand your point, but it's like... for my case, I only wanted 2 games, just checked Waku Waku 7 and it costs about 40 bucks, plus the whole trip to come here to Portugal... I don't think so. I can't even find Baku Baku Animal. So... before you call people cheap... please research the avaiability of Saturn games first :\

Besides that, I really understand your point. I normally like to try games before I buy them. But for old games... I don't do that much...
    I'm not saying that you're cheap, but I'm saying that I don't support doing anything illegal with my programs.
    Sylverant PSO Server

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information