Thread: Stream media from your PC to your PSP via PS3

sat Stream media from your PC to your PSP via PS3

The current generation of consoles are powerful machines and carry a lot of features so sometimes it's a little hard to keep track of what they can do. Here's one feature a lot of you may not have been aware of but may find useful: stream media to your PSP from your PC via PS3.

To do this you'll need to connect your PC to a PlayStation 3 console to act as the bridge. Using the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA), your PS3 can connect to your PC and share media. Then with Remote Play, you can stream the media to your PSP.

First off, you'll need to connect the PS3 to your PC's home network (you can use an Ethernet cable for this if your connection isn't wireless). Here are the instructions from Sony's Eric Lempel on how to connect it:
    On your PC, enable “Media Sharing” on Windows Media Player 11 and allow sharing with the PS3 (it may be labeled as an “unknown device”).
    On your PS3, turn on “Media Server Connection” under Network Settings. PS3 will automatically search for media servers on the same home network, or you can scan for them manually.
    Your PC and media files will pop up under the Photo/Music/Video XMB icons.
    After that you just need to stream your files to your PSP from your PS3 via Wi-Fi. Note that you'll need at least PS3 FW 1.80 for this, but of course FW 2.10 would be the better choice for media playing because of the new DivX support.

This is one of the first things I set up on my new PS3. It is a fantastic feature, and I had no idea it existed when I got the PS3. I use TVersity, and it has worked quite wonderfully, especially with the 2.10 DIVX update.

You can also use a program called Red Kawa File Server to transfer files from PC to PS3 over your home network, using your PS3's internet browser to do the downloads.

Thread Information