Thread: NetHack DS V1.15a Released

Blog Entries

NDS NetHack DS V1.15a Released

News/release from Abcd1234:

Welcome to the home page for my port of NetHack to the Nintendo DS. The goal of this project is to create a port of NetHack for the DS utilizing the unique features of the DS to create an easy-to-use NetHacking experience. I think I've succeeded in that goal. I'm probably wrong.

Features
    An unscaled, scrolling map view on the lower screen, which can be interacted with using the touchscreen.
    Minimap, message, and status information rendered to the top screen.
    Support for 16- and 256-color BMP tilesets, including non-rectangular tiles (tiles must have dimensions which are a multiple of 8, e.g. 8x8, 8x16, etc).
    Support for text mode, with optional full color and IBM graphics.
    Popup command window for easy access to the full command set.
    On-screen keyboard for text input and extended commands.
    Keys are almost completely configurable.
    Support for both left- and right-handed modes.
    Save and restore.
    Sleep mode.
    News

December 31, 2007
    Version 1.15a Released.

Yes, already. Fixed a map rendering bug in graphics mode caused by wall tile substitution in the NetHack core (this was evident when going from the regular dungeons to Sokoban, where the wall colours are supposed to change, but didn't).

Version 1.15 Released.

Added the CHORDKEYS configuration option, which allows the user to define which keys may be used in combination of others for the purpose of key binding.
    Removed triggermode (yes, after just two versions), in lieu of CHORDKEYS.
    Display help for key bindings if a chord key is pressed.
    Changed extended command input to use a menu, rather than the virtual keyboard.
    Added the ability to bind keys for toggling boolean options (eg, holdmode, hpmon, etc).
    Added "Show Keys" command, which pops up a window listing the current key bindings.
    Added hilite_pet support.
    Added new option "keyrepeat", which controls whether or not keys repeat in the game (default on). Doesn't affect menus, command window, etc.
    Now, you may ask, "why did you remove triggermode?!?". Well the answer is simple: CHORDKEYS allows the same functionality, only moar betar! Specifically, if you set CHORDKEYS as follows:

CHORDKEYS=up,down,left,right,rYou can then bind Up+B to Up, Up+Right+B to Up-Right, Right+B to Right, and so on. And this happens to be identical to triggermode. BUT, it also allows one to bind Up+X, Up+Y, and so forth, which is basically triggermode on steriods (and allows one to duplicate other key arrangements, such as that found in DSCrawl).

But note! If you change CHORDKEYS, your keybindings are reset! This is necessary, as there's no clean way to migrate an old keyset forward if the CHORDKEYS setting changes.

And yes, this modification is backward compatible with the old keybinding file, so your settings won't be lost (again, unless you change CHORDKEYS).

Lastly, in CHORDKEYS, the free shoulder button is always "r", whether or not lefthanded mode is enabled. Call me lazy...

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

haha sorry for my noob question
    but what exacly does this program do?

AJ.

Quote Originally Posted by ajskater11 View Post
    haha sorry for my noob question
    but what exacly does this program do?

AJ.
    It's a dungeon exploring game, the purpose is to collect items and kill the monsters and go further into the dungeon.

The game it's based on used ascii characters to represent the inhabitants of the dungeon, this has a graphical mode as well.
    Note that the game is updated very regularly so the screenshot below may be of an older version.

Last edited by SweetFA; January 2nd, 2008 at 10:53.

Thread Information