Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warner Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

Blog Entries

ps3 Warner Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.

"Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future.

DCEmu Legend

Nice. And who says Blu-Ray isn't winning? Clearly, Warner Brothers wouldn't have went Blu-Ray exclusive if it wasn't.

Fcuk you Warner

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    Fcuk you Warner
    Now now, don't be such a fangirl. HD-DVD has been losing this war for the better part of a year now. Its no surprise to you, or anyone, that its losing its support?

Micro$#@!, where are you now with your deep pockets? Gonna buy out some more companies to abandon blu-ray and adopt HD-DVD?

DCEmu Pro

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark View Post
    Now now, don't be such a fangirl. HD-DVD has been losing this war for the better part of a year now. Its no surprise to you, or anyone, that its losing its support?

Micro$#@!, where are you now with your deep pockets? Gonna buy out some more companies to abandon blu-ray and adopt HD-DVD?
    I believe the correct term is Microshaft.

But anyway, HD DVDs have been losing support for a long, long time now and this shouldn't come to anyone as a surprise. I have a Playstation 3 so this doesn't affect me in any sort of negative way.

Also no matter what most retail stores tell you, Blu Ray has been more successful than HD DVDs, and the only reason those retailers say otherwise is because they sell HD DVDs and demeaning a product is against policy.

DCEmu Newbie

You rock, Warner

DCEmu Legend

This is great news. I just received a PlayStation 3 80GB model from my girlfriend VERY unexpectedly and for a while now have been slowly collecting Blu-Ray movies to replace my DVD library.

I am a huge video freak and have studied and compared the two formats. Blu-Ray is superior and has the best staying power. It has more long-term potential and consumers really don't need 2 Hi-Def movie formats.

I guess with major players like Microsoft supporting HD-DVD we will not see HD-DVD just suddenly die off. But it will be fun watching the slow and painful demise if HD-DVD supporters remain stubborn.

In the end, the consumer has the right to choose and make their own decision. IF they want to short change themselves and opt for a inferior format, its their choice.

I spread the word to everyone that they should go Blu-Ray. If certain movies are not yet on Blu-Ray, they soon will be.

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark View Post
    HD-DVD has been losing this war for the better part of a year now. Its no surprise to you, or anyone, that its losing its support?
    Xbox 360 sold more than 17 million units worldwide, PS3 sold less than 6 million units worldwide.
    Obviously PS3 and the crappy Blu-Ray are failing miserably.

Xbox 360 sold more than 17 million units worldwide, PS3 sold less than 6 million units worldwide.
    LOL I'm sure less then half of the 17 million have th HD DVD addon and I think standalone blu ray has been selling better for quite a while now.

DCEmu Legend

Obviously you're just a miserable bitch because you cannot afford a PS3.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information