Thread: PSP Story

Default PSP Story

This is my first post on the forums and would like to say hello. If I didn't find this site, I would probably be running 1.5.2 and be afraid of running my PSP at 333MHz. (Not that it would matter on 1.5.2)

Anyways, I had some extra cash saved up and have always enjoyed handheld gaming. I have a DS, but its lack of homebrew and a decent game library have made it a dust collector until Nintendogs is released. I decided to get a PSP. (My first Sony system) I go to Toys R Us and get the system with Wipeout Pure. I fully charged it and turned it on with much enthusiasm to find several dead pixels in the center of the screen. I was willing to accept this as a minor flaw and continued to play the wonderful system. I had kai up and running within a few minutes and was already having a good time playing wipeout online. After a couple hours of solid game play, the D-Pad started to get loose. Eventually it felt like it was going to fall off, so I decided to take it back in a couple days. Before I went back to the store, I read some real horror stories with returns to Toy's R Us. I went back to the store and found the same guy that sold it to me. He was another gamer, so he understood my problem and had a new one for me in less than a minute. I left the store and sat on a mall bench to check out my brand new PSP. I held the glossy system in my hands only to find that there was a great deal of dust under the screen. I searched for the nearest power outlet and quickly switched on the system to be overwhelmed by over a dozen dead pixels. This including the dust made was unbearable, so I went back into the store. The sales guy informed me that he has had several returns from this same shipment, so something must be wrong. We opened another PSP in the store to find the classic stuck square button issue. After this, he brought out armfuls of PSP boxes and we started sorting through them. About seven faulty systems later, I found one that would satisfy my obsessive compulsive self. After about a day of playing my brand new PSP, I was faced with the newest problem of a sticking L button which made game play hell. Frustrated, I went back to the store a couple days later and switched up systems for the last one of their shipment. I opened the box on the bench once again to find a PSP with no dust under the screen and the buttons all did their job, so I plugged it into the wall and didn't find a single dead pixel. It took about a week and almost 10 PSP's, but I found a working system. I am now happily playing all my favourite classic SNES and Genesis games thanks to the wonderful homebrew community.

I wanted to share this story with everyone, and would like to hear from whoever has had similar problems.

Wow! that is a Horror story, 10 PSPs were bad?
    I was a little bit upset when I found a dead pixel in the center of my screen but I have not had any problems with the buttons at all.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

trust sony to make good reliable hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Darksaviour69
    trust sony to make good reliable hardware
    The Sales Rep said the same thing happend on the launch of PS2. Everyone was getting the inevitable "disk read error" out of the box. The store had five out of every ten PS2 systems returned. PSP is really just dej`a vu of Sony's "make them as fast as we can" manufacturing philosophy. I probably would have exchanged it and got my money back if it wasn't such an amazing system. I would also probably regret missing my chance at a 1.5 PSP. We can only hope that the PS3 doesn't have any unwanted surprises for us. Either way, I think this is the last time I buy anything from Sony.

Thread Information