Thread: Sony boasts PlayStation holiday sales numbers

Blog Entries

psp Sony boasts PlayStation holiday sales numbers

Without comparable numbers from the other two console manufacturers, you'll have to consider these numbers from Sony in a vacuum of sorts. Nevertheless, regardless of the console horse race, Sony's got plenty to be proud of: 1.2m PS3 consoles sold since Black Friday; 1.4m PSP systems (unsurprising to anyone who had difficulty tracking one down this holiday); and 1.3m PS2 systems. That's a total of 3.9m PlayStation consoles sold in less than two months and, with the recent Blu-ray news, we suspect PS3 sales may trend upwards.

While Microsoft touted their total Xbox 360 sales numbers last week, we'll have to wait another week and a half before we get specific NPD numbers for December. But sales like these, regardless of the relative strength of the competition, means at least one thing: there's 3.9m game consoles living in happy homes and that's good news for everyone.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/06/so...sales-numbers/

DCEmu Legend

Wow, I knew the PS2 was still alive and kicking but I had no idea it was still selling so good. Way to go SONY! I remember waiting in line all night in the fall of 2000 for the PS2 when it was first launched. Now 7 1/2 years later to see it doing so well is a mind trip.

I just got a PS3 and love it. Looking forward to at least 7 1/2 years of enjoyment out of the PS3 as well. Industry analysts did predict the PS3 has the longest potential staying power or lifespan.

Thread Information