Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Demos Copying From Blu-ray Disc

Blog Entries

General games Sony Demos Copying From Blu-ray Disc

The concept of copying a lower-resolution version of a film from a packaged media disc to a portable device is not new--in fact, late last year, Fox and Warner released the first standard definition titles to offer this capability (on Live Free, Die Hard and Harry Potter: The Order of the Phoenix, respectively).

Sony today demonstrated the next level of disc copying. At the company's booth at CES, Sony demonstrated how you could put a Blu-ray Disc movie into a Playstation 3 and copy the film to a Playstation Portable or a Memory Stick. "This way, you can have a portable copy you can take with you," explains David Bishop, president of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

"There was always the promise of greater interactivity. You'll see that coming in the new year," Bishop added. In addition to the PSP copying example, Sony also demonstrated how you could download ring tones and new content to a BD Live player, using Men in Black as the example.

BD Live is proving to be a big catchphrase at the show: Panasonic announced its BD Live player yesterday, Fox showcased an early version of its Alien vs. Predator multiplayer game at the Blu-ray Disc Association's booth, and Sony showed its interactive Men in Black trivia game. The game was being played by two people in two locations on a Playstation 3.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006194.html

that is REALLY cool feature.
    good job sony.

DCEmu Legend

Yes, I strongly believe that this is a very nice feature. I'm almost surprised by it. Another admittance of sorts that UMD Video isn't that convenient and playing content off the PSP's memory stick is VERY convenient.

And with the new 16GB memory sticks from SONY, the PSP/PS3 interactivity keeps getting more impressive.

Also, I have started phasing out my DVD collection to switch to Blu-Ray so I could definitely use this feature.

it seems like SOny were planning all these interactive features from the outset, but PS3 didn't quite meet the schedule of the PSP PS3 1-2 knockout punch, and now all these features are coming out in big clumps en masse to make up for lost time.

Damn Sony stop making me spend money.:thumbup:

Cool!
    Reason to upgrade the HD in my PS3!
    Now I can put all my Blu-Ray Movies on the HD and play them back at will.
    Sweet!
    I never have to touch my Blu-Ray discs again.

The option to convert for the PSP is marginal.
    Easy enough to convert them on your own.

This is anywhere near as good as a disc free of AACS and BD+ how?

I can do this myself with DVDs, a direct rip or transcoded into any format I want, at any resolution I want, and can copy the thing as much times as I want.

They take the concept of a meal consumers want, then throw them the day old scraps of it.

DCEmu Legend

psp

Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    I can do this myself with DVDs
    Yes, that is a good point. However, I'm not aware of an easy way to rip Blu-Ray discs to then transcode the HD file to any format/resolution.

If the PS3 will do it for me, its convenient since I use my Slim PSP more and more as a portable video device too.

Thats my point, the (not completely cracked yet) DRM is the reason that consumers cant do this easily themselves with a lot more flexibility.
    Adding DRMd low res copies to the disc is crap compared to having proper access to the HD video data.

Any movies on Blu-Ray will be on DVD also, and PSP/PMP video is lower res than a DVD anyway. I don't think you'll see a major difference just because your transcoding from a super high quality source instead of just a really high quality one.

Hopefully some clever people out there will break their stupid DRM and it will be a non-issue like it is for DVDs.
    There are plenty of Blu-ray/HD-DVD rips on torrent sites, its just that the holes they used to rip them may be patched in the future.

With all the updating and encryption key revoking it's looking grim for HD video currently
    Last edited by bah; January 8th, 2008 at 06:22.

great move by soney, id be good also if it allowed streaming too. sure theres alot of great software that streams video to the psp but id just be nice to have it on the ps3 since us early adopters payed half a grand for their console.

Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    Thats my point, the (not completely cracked yet) DRM is the reason that consumers cant do this easily themselves with a lot more flexibility.
    Adding DRMd low res copies to the disc is crap compared to having proper access to the HD video data.

Any movies on Blu-Ray will be on DVD also, and PSP/PMP video is lower res than a DVD anyway. I don't think you'll see a major difference just because your transcoding from a super high quality source instead of just a really high quality one.

Hopefully some clever people out there will break their stupid DRM and it will be a non-issue like it is for DVDs.
    There are plenty of Blu-ray/HD-DVD rips on torrent sites, its just that the holes they used to rip them may be patched in the future.

With all the updating and encryption key revoking it's looking grim for HD video currently
    i think your missing the point.

If you own a PS3 and a HDTV then you will be purchasing Blu-ray over DVD when possible, why should the consumer then need to buy the DVD or worse illegally download the movie so they can also watch it on PSP.
    This is useful because when all releases are on Blu-ray you have no reason to purchase another copy of the film to use on other devices. It gives you the option to expand the use of you pre-purchased movies without having to use tricks to copy it or simply download a convenient copy using illegal means.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information