Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Snes Emu?

DCEmu Newbie

Default Best Snes Emu?

so what does everyone think?
    im on 3.80 m33 - 4 +1.5....

So far, the recently released uo_SNES seems to be the superior choice. I tested both it and SNES9x_TYL and the uo version did a fair amount better with Super Mario RPG.

Although sadly, the n64 version of Star Fox STILL plays better on Daedalus than the SNES version does on either uo or TYL.

I'm using Snes9xtyl 0.42me and works kind of ok, but you need to tweak some options in order to get some games runing properly, like frameskip and procesor's clock speed, there are a bunch of other options that can help, plus the speedhacks

Quote Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
    So far, the recently released uo_SNES seems to be the superior choice. I tested both it and SNES9x_TYL and the uo version did a fair amount better with Super Mario RPG.

Although sadly, the n64 version of Star Fox STILL plays better on Daedalus than the SNES version does on either uo or TYL.
    Can you check the snesadvance.dat file from uo_SNES and see if it has an SMRPG entry that's relatively short (only 3 or 4 patches, each separated by a comma)? If so, that's probably a major factor in having it run faster. I only just recently speedhacked SMRPG, so the patch would not be present in the default SNES9X_TYL download.

In addition to that SMRPG speedhack, I also speedhacked Star Fox, but unfortunately it appears to have done nothing, according to the reports I've gotten from PSP owners.

1B8A0625|Super Mario RPG - Legend of the|4|0|0|0|0|0|A41=42.302FF=42,202E9=42DB,9F5=42

Hope that helps. ^^d

Yup, that's the one I made. That would explain why it's running so much faster for you in uo_SNES. Try copying that entry into the snesadvance.dat file you're using for SNES9X_TYL (replace any older entry if it's in there) and you'll see similar speed gains.

Also, make sure that period after A41=42 is a comma.

I'm sure it was... I was at work transcribing from PSPFiler.

i haven't tried uo_SNES already, but can anyone give a comment on the speed? (compared to TYL with identical snesadvance.dat?)

I don't understand why SNES emulators suck. It's good that speed hacks are feasibly useful, but it doesn't hold a candle to the work done on gpSP or Daedalus.

However where can I get these speed hacks? Are they just lines of text that you put in snesadvance.dat?

Preferably I play SNES9xTYL but not the ME version which has a considerably noticeable downgrade in sound, and even though this should help the video emulation I haven't noticed it. I like the current standard version. I run a fat 3.80 m33-5, which is what I think you have. (By +1.5, you mean the Kernel add-on necessary for fat's right?) The only major problem with this emulator otherwise is the fact that sometimes the .ini files (I'm assuming it's the main one) gets corrupted somehow and the emulator wont play games - which is a quick fix seeing how you can just copy the main files in again and it seems to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaver911 View Post
    However where can I get these speed hacks? Are they just lines of text that you put in snesadvance.dat?
    In essence, yes. There are several fields, separated by vertical pipe symbols. The first is the game's CRC, the second is the game's name so us humans can find it quickly, the next few are ignored completely by the SNES emulators for the PSP, and the last contains the actual speedhacks.

Speedhacks are in the format XXXX=42XX or XXXX=DBXX. Anything that ends in =EAEA isn't a speedhack but is actually there to prevent the game from calling out to the SPC core. This was needed in SNES Advance, the SNES emulator for the GBA, because the SPC core was not emulated at all so sometimes games would freeze when the nonexistent SPC core didn't respond. You could remove these ones with no ill effects if you wanted to.

The latest snesadvance.dat file (called the SuperDAT) can be found by going to the PocketHeaven forums and going to the stickied thread in the SNES Advance forum. However, on the last page of that topic you'll find a post by me that contains several PSP-only fixes for games like SMRPG and Kirby's Dream Land 3 that don't stand a chance of running on the GBA at all, but mog123 hasn't added them to the database yet.

If you're curious, the fields that the PSP emulators skip were there for configuring different graphics settings in SNES Advance. Trying to get the graphics layers working right was a nightmare, but the SuperDAT at least made it possible in the first place.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information