Thread: Best Buy closing out 80GB PS3

ps3 Best Buy closing out 80GB PS3

via Joystiq

The PS3 pricing structure is like a really wily monkey. You may think you have him, you've got your stun club and net all ready and then ... poof! He loses you, leaving behind only a monkey-shaped cloud of dust. In what appears to be its latest juke, the 80 GB version of the PS3 will apparently go closeout (read: no new shipments) at Best Buy stores, according to an internal memo sent to PS3 Fanboy.

What does this mean for the PS3 exactly? We've checked with our team of experts and are now able to report that we have absolutely no clue. It's worth noting that in Japan, the 20 and 60 GB SKUs of the system were dropped to focus all efforts on the 40GB model, but we don't know if that's what's happening here. The only facts now seem to be that something is up, and Sony's saying it's business as usual. We'll let you know when we hear more.

Heres a rumor going around:

As of Monday, January 28, 2008 there will be 3 Playstation 3 SKU's available in the US market.

40GB White Playstation 3 - $299.99 (missing B/C, 2 USB ports, and memory-card readers)
    40GB Black Playstation 3 - $299.99 (missing B/C, 2 USB ports, and memory-card readers)
    80GB Black Playstation 3 - $449.99 (software based B/C, 4 USB pots, has memory card readers)

Shame there's no 60GB anymore, Sony should bring that back. By that way, didn't that US model have the PS2's Emotion Engine hardware set? I can't quite remember.

Just in case anyone wants to know, the US $ to UK £ conversions are:

40GB - $300 = £152
    80GB - $450 = £228

If those rumos are true, $n!pR. I'm gonna get myself a white PS3 that week.

I have the White 360 already, if I buy the white PS3 my room will look gorgeous!

DCEmu Legend

I don't know if the rumors should be believed. Remember, Sony has gone on the record to say that they want a 1 SKU strategy for North America. This could be that coming to fruition.

Others have speculated (on the Official PS boards) that Sony only offered the 80gb as a "Holiday Deal".

If we take into account that no other region has more than 1 SKU (Europe and Japan both have ONLY the 40gb available) then it seems to indicate to me that this is route Sony is going with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrygue View Post
    Shame there's no 60GB anymore, Sony should bring that back. By that way, didn't that US model have the PS2's Emotion Engine hardware set? I can't quite remember.
    Yes, the 60GB has the PS2's EE.

DCEmu Pro

Yeah I can confirm that the best buy store I work at has well over 50 40gb but only 9 80gb models and I have yet to see a shipment of them since before Christmas.
    Last edited by Gene; January 26th, 2008 at 00:07. Reason: Wrote 60 instead of 80. Sorry.

Thread Information