Thread: Game Review: Orange Box: Team Fortress 2 (Xbox 360 / PS3)

xbox 360 Game Review: Orange Box: Team Fortress 2 (Xbox 360 / PS3)

I know its part of the orange box, but I'm just gonna review TF2, mmmkay?

All online, all shooting and all cartoonish, Valve has a good sequel to the questionably "good" Team Fortress. Because there is no storyline, i guess thats all for that part.

TF2 is an all multiplayer class based shooter, much like its predecessor. There are nine classes which include Scouts, Pyros, Soldiers, Demoman, Heavies, engineers, medics, snipers,and spies. The presentation when it comes to connection is usually terrible. Joining games take unneccesarily long times and half the time the game displays rooms with open spaces but in turn states that its full or "no longer accepting players" (whatever the hell valve meant by that) when you try and join them. The classes are fairly well-balanced, but when it comes to the grind, the game can be terribly unfair, far worse then Halo or Gears., However, the game is terribly addicting, like Halo or Gears.

Easily one of the best parts of the game is the character development, despite never having a story mode. You just kinda figure out their individual personalities and traits just by using them. Unfortunately, it doesn't go much further then that. The class based multiplayer sure is a blast, at least, when its fair. When you've got 3 enemy sentries, 2 soldiers, a medic, and 2 demomen placing bombs right outside your spawnpoint, its easy to tell Valve really didn't give a crap about the cheapness factor in the game so much as throwing it on the market.
    In other words, it can be a good game. But to games like R6V, Resistance, and Halo which ARE good games instead of CAN be good games, it falls pretty short.

The graphics are another great thing about this game. Its endearing cartoon-style graphics perfectly compliment its blow-you-limbs-off with a rocket style of gameplay. All the characters are hilarious at times, the things they say. And the CG makes all of it possible.

Sooooooo.....

Presentation: 2/5
    Horrible connection issues, boring interfece and lack of gameplay modes kills it. Bad. Glitching is absolutely terrible and causes many games to where the opposite team has a terribly unfair advantage.

Gameplay: 3.5/5
    While its a blast while the class-based multiplayer is WORKING, many a time the game will make absolutely no sense as to why some things happen.

Graphics: 4/5
    Best part of the game. The cartoonish CG is perfect and original.

Sound: 3/5
    While the gunshots and beats of a wrench work, there are no amazing things about the effects. Music is non-existent.

Replay value
    : 4/5
    With nine classes, 6 maps and 3 gameplay modes it makes for a decent time. With more maps, weapons, and classes on they're way, it makes for a fun time. Granting you can bear the issues.

OVERALL:

I'm sure this will be argued. Alot. but the fact is, while I'm hopelessly addicted to it, I've easily seen all the crap this game has to offer. Still, its a solid experiance. At least, most of the time.

I know this is old, but im going to say this anyway (I just saw this in your sig)

The 360 version is a horrid port when in comparison to the PC version D: There have been many, many updates to the game to fix map glitches, add new maps, better class balancing, new weapons (only medic has new weapons/achievments as of now) I think if you play the PC version you might like it better

(..... My avatar is a good example of a bug that has been fixed XD, dead bodies falling through the world)

Quote Originally Posted by Junixx View Post
    I know this is old, but im going to say this anyway (I just saw this in your sig)

The 360 version is a horrid port when in comparison to the PC version D: There have been many, many updates to the game to fix map glitches, add new maps, better class balancing, new weapons (only medic has new weapons/achievments as of now) I think if you play the PC version you might like it better

(..... My avatar is a good example of a bug that has been fixed XD, dead bodies falling through the world)
    I know, though its still pretty fun. But Valve refuses to fix any 360 problems, and I have a problem with THAT. An update with new achievements and maps is supposed to come out, but thats no excuse for doing it this late.

I experienced a bunch of lag on the 360 TF2 so I traded it in for the pc version of OB

plus I had already tried getting as many achievements as I could, so no loss really.

great game either way, just that the 360 version is a bit inferior to its pc counterpart then again which game isn't.

they also fixed the lag on the ps3 version but having dedicated servers also instead of hosted on whoevers 360 made the game

DCEmu Newbie

I have this game on PC (the best version) but I've also played or seen it been played for both PS3 and Xbox. It runs well on both, but the PC is the version to get.

i got the orange box on my pc and i really enjoy it, too bad my internet sucks so badly, otherwise i would pay it moar.

Thread Information