Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: jEnesisDS 0.6

DCEmu Newbie

It doesn't work for me.... Its the Jenesis Console but blank.....

i would like to say sorry and congrats
    sorry for doubting you in the past i let my psp and it system power get to my head but this is good news for you ds owners this is awesome i dont even have a ds anymore but im very happy that lordus got the sound for you guys
    Im sorry Dark_alex you are still my bro hereo but lordus is my hero and i dont even have my ds anymore
    i just wish homebrew was easy on the psp like it is on the ds i dont use homebrew on my slim i love it too much but i do it on the fat i just want to know why it homebrew so complicated on the psp

Dcemu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
    It doesn't work for me.... Its the Jenesis Console but blank.....
    Blank screen means, it can't access your cards file system.
    What flashcard are you trying it on, and did you DLDI-patch the binary?

Quote Originally Posted by Lordus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TaN00Ki View Post
    Lordus, do you know why jEnesisDS keeps on remembering the rom names as I add them to my setup, instead of chronologically, even when I delete jEnesisDS.sav?
    Files are shown in the chronological order they were moved to the SD card (within this order they are sorted alphabetically though). This is just the order they are read from the card, jEnesisDS doesn't sort or remember them. The .sav file doesn't store any information.
    So if you wanted the files to be shown alphabetically sorted, when adding new ones, you'd have to delete the ones already there, and move them all together (including the new files) onto your card again.

I know this is not really convenient and will see if i can do something about it.
    Easiest method would be to use the FATsort program on your computer rather than copying everything off and on again. I do this all the time, as the slot-2 Supercard menu sorts chronologically as well rather than alphabetically.

You could also look into the "MCTool v0.16" program if you want an alphabetical sorter app that works directly on the DS itself. It also functions as a DS-side CHKDSK for card diagnostics on the go. Very useful.

Thanks for the awesome release, Lordus! I was amazed when I watched the video of the beta. After running the final version on my DS, I have to say I am amazed again at how much the sound has improved since then.

After putting it through its paces through various games, in addition to what has been said already, I noticed some minor quirks that occurred. I don't know if these are fixable or not, but I would like to point them out.

• In Sonic & Knuckles, being in a special stage for so long can sometimes garble up the sound a bit which can only be fixed by reloading the game.

• Puyo Puyo doesn't seem to have any sound playing at all for some reason. Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, which is basically a modified version of this game doesn't have any problems however, neither does Puyo Puyo Tsu, a sequel to the game.

• In Road Rash, the theme seems to be missing some of the melody. However, start a race and then finish it or get wrecked/busted to return to the track selection and the missing melody now seems to be playing fine.

• Gunstar Heroes has some areas of the game which seems to run rather slowly, notably in the Dice Maze. I would disregard this since a Genesis/Megadrive emulator on the DS is demanding. But the odd thing is jEnesisDS is still reporting it to be playing at 60 FPS.

• After loading a saved state, the music from before the state was loaded continues to play.

Anyway, I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining about it. This is an excellent release that not only makes jEnesisDS hands down the best Genesis/Megadrive emulator for the DS, but one of the best homebrew software for it imo, and I'm loving it. I'm actually using jEnesisDS even more than I play DS games. I mean, this is a Genesis/Megadrive emulator running on the DS at full speed and with sound! I can't say it is anything less than it being made of win.

Keep up the good work!

DCEmu Newbie

Nice! Thanks SO much! It's nice to finally hear the nostalgic Sonic the Hedge Hog theme in the right key! Awesome work. I'm still a little disappointed since it dosnt seem to play Mortal Kombat 3 . THAT is the ONLY flaw. Other than not being able to play MK3, this thing is PerfecT. Please try to see what u can do about making it mk3 compatible. NICE.

DCEmu Newbie

Also "Streets of Rage 2" (which was and IS AGAIN my favorite game of all-time from the 16-bit era) WORKS FABULOUSLY!!! THINKS!!!!!!!

This emulator is just simply amazing, I have been following it since day one and now to see it with sound that is near perfect?... Just crazy, I would own a DS just for this!

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Lordus View Post
    Thanks. It's not harder than to code for anything else Of course to get anywhere with the speed, a lot of parts were written in ARM assembler and heavily customized and optimized.
    You'd have to make a lot of compromises and not have compatibility and accuracy as your main goal, except you want a slide show.

For a HW renderer one main problem is, that the DS doesn't have per tile priority. You can make up for that with its 4 layers, but then you loose the ability to scale in hardware (just 2 layers can). Another thing is, that the maximum layer dimensions are 64x64, so you get into trouble if a game uses 128 cell backgrounds.
    The maybe biggest problem is, that the DS can "only" address 1024 tiles per layer, so you have to find a way to deal with that. You could use 2 layers to display the tiles with higher indices, but you already need them for the priorities..

Of course there are solutions to most problems, but sometimes they are not really obvious.
    If you decide to work on the DS and have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
    I see, so rendering was definitely already a challenge... and from what I've seen, the screen resolution also don't suit very well to the most common genesis resolution (vertical scaling seems to throw some lines and horizontal scaling seems not possible)

If you don't have any way to do tile priority, that means you have to emulate priority of Window/A/B/ Sprite planes through software and so can't take any advantage of the DS ability to manage 4 layers?
    I imagine the 3 other layers can be used to address the 1024 higher patterns and deals with 32x128 or 128x32 scrolling planes...

Have you already read the rendering code of genesis plus ? Charles Mc Donald has really wrotten a smart designed and fast engine to deal with layer priority, so far the best I have seen in any opensource genesis emulator

PS: Btw, is anything like fullscreen quad texturing using the 3D hardware possible ?

Anyway, I just finished playing with some games and I must say that even if you can not be as accurate as you would like, rendering/sound/speed as they are actually make the perfect compromise and already a pretty enjoyable experience
    Last edited by eke-eke; January 30th, 2008 at 16:54.

DCEmu Newbie

Great work Lourdy
    I dunno if someone mentioned it or if it was in the previous version...but i noticed the option to adjust the screen...though the screen's a bit still somewhat wide when centered...love the option =)

Anyways, thanks for the release! Makes for a fun train ride :thumbup:

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information