Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DCEmu Asks - Xbox a History & Whats the greatest Xbox Game Ever ?

XBMC or other homebrew developed with the leaked official sdk.
    The homebrew apps may be technically illegal to distribute in binary, but I cannot bring myself to see any moral objection upon which laws are supposed to exist. If I choose to buy hardware that has restrictions on what it can run, then I either accept them, work to break them/hope someone else does (and be thankful for whatever gets released) or don't buy the thing. I cant complain if no one breaks their protections, but if they do I should be able to run whatever the hell I want on the hardware I purchased.
    Same goes for the PSP and people being so expectant of having a new custom FW for each official release.

It was a PC in terms of hardware, but it wasn't in that it was crippled/restricted (quite rightfully) as they wanted to make a profit or at least not a complete loss from their first console. In doing that they made it not a PC as far as accessibility (the hardware specs being fairly open to manufacture and create code for), which is what made the x86 format what is is in computing still today.

The ability to create unofficial apps like XBMC has kept the console alive beyond the point where MS felt it was no longer in their financial interests to keep it so.

The value of hardware should depend on its ability to do what the owner wants it to do, not what the producer feels is best for them.
    New consoles are great so long as there aren't too many for the market to sustain and they don't come too often, but the original xbox is still worth owning well beyond 'official' uses.

/rant

Multi player: Mashed: Fully loaded (can't stand FPSs without a mouse or superior replacement).
    Single player: GTA games, Destroy all humans (and to a lesser extent the sequel) and Conker.
    Last edited by bah; February 3rd, 2008 at 19:04. Reason: added the word 'other' to the first line

Quote Originally Posted by mike_jmg View Post
    Burnout Revenge
    and patched DOA extreme beach volleyball (that one kicks ass, litteraly)
    Oh, yes, Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball with new "textures" :rofl:

Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    XBMC or homebrew developed with the leaked official sdk.
    The homebrew apps may be technically illegal to distribute in binary, but I cannot bring myself to see any moral objection upon which laws are supposed to exist. If I choose to buy hardware that has restrictions on what it can run, then I either accept them, work to break them/hope someone else does (and be thankful for whatever gets released) or don't buy the thing. I cant complain if no one breaks their protections, but if they do I should be able to run whatever the hell I want on the hardware I purchased.
    Same goes for the PSP and people being so expectant of having a new custom FW for each official release.

It was a PC in terms of hardware, but it wasn't in that it was crippled/restricted (quite rightfully) as they wanted to make a profit or at least not a complete loss from their first console. In doing that they made it not a PC as far as accessibility (the hardware specs being fairly open to manufacture and create code for), which is what made the x86 format what is is in computing still today.

The ability to create unofficial apps like XBMC has kept the console alive beyond the point where MS felt it was no longer in their financial interests to keep it so.

The value of hardware should depend on its ability to do what the owner wants it to do, not what the producer feels is best for them.
    New consoles are great so long as there aren't too many for the market to sustain and they don't come too often, but the original xbox is still worth owning well beyond 'official' uses.

/rant

Multi player: Mashed: Fully loaded (can't stand FPSs without a mouse or superior replacement).
    Single player: GTA games, Destroy all humans (and to a lesser extent the sequel) and Conker.
    You are so right. All Dreamcast fanboys (cough* JKK) use the excuse that Dreamcast's homebrew is better because it has "legal" homebrew. Although a lot of Xbox Homebrew is developed with official SDK which might be illegal, it really does make the console so much better than what it was meant for.
    And now that the console has been completely discontinued and unsupported for 2 years, I dont think MS would care as much as they would've in the past.

Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon, Outrun 2

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltaco64 View Post
    Oh, yes, Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball with new "textures" :rofl:
    I'll tell you a funny story
    A friend of mine lend me a moded Xbox in exchange for my moded PS2
    First thing I did, go to buy DOAXBV, cause I had the patch and wanted to try it out , so i bought a cheap copy, cause the thing wasn't mine and wouldn't be around very long.

Imagine my surprise when I found out it was already patched:rofl:

Is there any Xbox emu for the PC wich can load this, cause I don't have the console anymore :rofl:
    Last edited by mike_jmg; February 4th, 2008 at 00:37.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_jmg View Post
    I'll tell you a funny story
    A friend of mine lend me a moded Xbox in exchange for my moded PS2
    First thing I did, go to buy DOAXBV, cause I had the patch and wanted to try it out , so i bought a cheap copy, cause the thing wasn't mine and wouldn't be around very long.

Imagine my surprise when I found out it was already patched:rofl:

Is there any Xbox emu for the PC wich can load this, cause I don't have the console anymore :rofl:
    Lol, you bought a copy from a store and it was patched?

There's only one publically released Xbox emulator, Xeon, and that only runs Halo 1 very slowly at that.

Lol, you bought a copy from a store and it was patched?
    The patch would have been on his mate's Xbox.

The killer Xbox apps for me would be XBMC and StepmaniaX (fine, judge me all you like, but that $#@!'s addictive). Those are the apps that have kept my xbox plugged in and turned on for the past however-many years.

ETA: in fact, I've just bought one for a friend as a belated Christmas present, which we will be softmodding later this evening.

Fav. Xbox Game:
    Mech Assault

Fav. Xbox App.
    XBMC. (I own 3 of them just for this reason)

#1 Emulation station to date.
    Made the word "homebrew" a second hand phrase.

Xbox rules all without question regarding emulators and homebrew. I love my DC but its a long way off compared to the xbox. CPS3, amiga, mame, n64, ps1 etc etc all run fantastic on my modded machine. ...and the media centre is second to none!

Games for me that rocked on xobx are: The GTA's, Star Wars Battle Front 2, Halo 2, Forza, Black (this fps game still looks amazing and has better gfx then some new titles on the market now!), KOTOR etc.

Bah and Eviltaco64 comments seem spot on to me! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    XBMC or other homebrew developed with the leaked official sdk.

/rant

You are so right. All Dreamcast fanboys (cough* JKK) use the excuse that Dreamcast's homebrew is better because it has "legal" homebrew. Although a lot of Xbox Homebrew is developed with official SDK which might be illegal, it really does make the console so much better than what it was meant for.

How true. :rofl:

DCEmu Newbie

Xbox - The greatest gaming console in history...next to it's big brother Xbox 360 which now holds that title, as far as games go some of the best and even better you can play them on the Xbox 360 so that's great...back to games, I mean come on Halo, Halo 2 FPS perfected and I thought Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark for N64 were the greatest but those games and now Halo 3 proved me wrong. Now to the RPG's (My favorite genre, FPS is my second) the Xbox did not have many RPG's because the bastards at Sony had them all (Which hopefully the Xbox 360 promises to fix) but Xbox did have one true RPG masterpiece and that was The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind no matter how many those Sony bastards had all of there RPG's combined could not f@ck with the master Morrowind. Oh and by the way f@ck Fable that was a complete disappointment (Supposedly the Morrowind killer never that)and the same goes to the upcoming Fable 2 no matter how much they try they still can't f@ck with THE GREATEST RPG OF ALL TIME!! The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion...Peace, Kyros

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information