Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PSP Sets Fire To Schoolboy's Pants

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolaos View Post
    It has to be a third-party battery, that or he goes to school in the desert, sometimes my PSP is running at 333 speed with AC adapter plugged in, while it fell under a nice warm blanket, it got pretty hot, for hours at a time, but my bed wasn't in flames now was it?
    michigan

third party battery maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by rishard10212 View Post
    michigan
    he is from Detroit City, I live in Windsor, 20 mins away, I can literally see Detroit across the river. I go there often, its not hot here! especially not now.

PSP Coder

PSPs are getting ppl into trouble left, right, and centre lately.
    Does sound like a diodgy battery to me, and Sony did warn against using them.

ive carried ma psp in ma pocket ever since ive had it... and its never gotten to the point where it was too hot or even to warm to be concerned about. once, it was on for 2 hrs in ma pocket because i forgot to make sure it was off... what happened to this kid wont stop me from puttin mine in ma pocket... its more safe ther

It's lucky he wasn't playing with it. I'm worried about this as my battery is a third party one I bought off eBay years ago. I really don't want mine blowing off my fingers .

DCEmu Newbie

It might not have been a 3rd party battery. Short out *any* Li-ion battery and you will get a hot cup of nastiness.

I've heard of people having holes blown in their legs from putting Li coin cell batterys (like a CR-2032) in their pockets along with loose change. One short and BOOM!

Probably a 3rd part battery back (as others have said), quite likely a Lithium polymer cell. I guess most batteries get pretty angry when you short them.

From model plane experience I can say they have a habit of blowing up like a balloon, popping, then (sometimes) burning if you try to push/draw too much current through them. A short would certainly do it.
    Last edited by bah; February 7th, 2008 at 04:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrygue View Post
    via Kotaku

At the Warner Middle School in Farmington Hills Michigan this morning a fire broke out in a young boy's pants. According to police, the PSP in the student's pocket overheated and exploded, burning a hole in his pocket and causing minor burns on his legs.
    :rofl:

think i'll take a diff view

Yeah right. This is definately what happened! My arse! what caused the short? static? hmmmm sounds like crap to me

prob had a zippo in his pocket and dint wanna get caught out on his sneaky smoking habits
    Last edited by jeegee; February 7th, 2008 at 11:21.

DCEmu Newbie

I've just taken the third party battery out of my psp. Only official psp batteries go in it now.

Also, it WAS the battery. Nothing else in a psp could explode, because in order for something to explode or catch fire, there has to be an energy source. Unless he had that new Trinitrotoluene game they're selling, or perhaps his classroom was located at the center of the earth.
    Last edited by kam30en; February 7th, 2008 at 11:55.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information