Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: PS3 DualShock 3 Controller (Official)

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

ps3 Review: PS3 DualShock 3 Controller (Official)

PS3 DualShock 3 Controller (Official)
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Site: Buy from Goldenshop / Buy from Play-Asia (black) / Buy from Play-Asia (white) / Buy from Play-Asia (silver)
    Price: $60.00

Overview : Missing something from the PlayStation SIXAXIS? Just cant get your "hands around" it? Now you can! Dual Shock is back and is now featured in the SIXAXIS now known as Dual Shock 3 (DS3). Feel every bump, punch and blast with the rumble of the Official Sony Dual Shock 3 Bluetooth Controller.

Features
    • Official Dual Shock 3 wireless controller
    • Connects via bluetooth (wireless) or USB (wired)
    • Lithium Ion rechargeable battery pack built-in
    • Play & Charge technology: Recharge battery pack when connecting via USB

Quality/Usability : When the PlayStation 3 launched, one vital feature was missing from it. The Xbox 360 has it, the Nintendo Wii has it but the PS3 didnt. Even the PlayStation 2 had it. Know what it is yet? (I think the title gave it away)...RUMBLE! Why was it left out? Well, I wont go into detail (Google) but Sony was being sued for infringing on patents that Immerson had rights to in regards to rumble. So to prevent the PlayStation 3 from being delayed, Sony released the PlayStation 3 with no rumble built into its SIXAXIS controller. It was a huge setback to Sony and a huge disappointment to gamers but a little more than a year after launch, Sony is able to release a Dual Shock version of the SIXAXIS.

We all know that rumble wont change how a game plays but it has become an essential part of the gaming experience. A lot of the PlayStation 3 games have great visual and gameplay but lacked that extra feature to give that full enjoyment. Its like eating a burger but all you're eating is the bun, lettuce, ketchup and no meat.

Although the review is based on the Japanese version (Europe and North America not released at time of review), it will still work on any PlayStation 3 as there is no territorial lockout on accessories. With the announcement and release of the Dual Shock 3 controller, newer PS3 titles are starting to support new controller. Some games even have patches to support the rumble.

Upon removing the controller from its plastic, you'll notice the added weight from the controller immediately. Its not really heavy but you'll notice a difference between the Dual Shock 3 and the SIXAXIS. You'll also notice that the DS3 does not sport the semi-transparent casing that the SIXAXIS does and it is now opaque black. Other than that, layout of buttons and controls are the same and you still have the motion sensor.

Setting up the controller is like setting up the SIXAXIS when you first set up the PlayStation 3. Simply connect one end of the USB cable (not included) to the DS3 and the other end to the PS3. Sync the controller and you're set.

We put the Dual Shock 3 to work with Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, Burnout Paradise and Unreal Tournament 3. I must say, everything that you would expect from a Dual Shock. The rumble that we have come to know and love is all here! Not only does it work with PlayStation 3 games, but it worked with PlayStation 2 games as well without a problem.

At the time of this review and infancy of the Dual Shock 3, the following titles support rumble. As newer games come out, more and more games will support the DS3: (as of 9/20/07 - list from SCEE)

LIST OF PLAYSTATION®3 TITLES COMPATIBLE WITH DUALSHOCK®3 IN JAPAN
    • Vampire Rain -Altered Species
    • BIOHAZARD® 5
    • Devil May Cry® 4
    • Dark Sector
    • Burnout Paradise
    • FIFA franchise (title name TBD)
    • BUMPY TROT2
    • Dynasty Warriors 6
    • Fatal Inertia
    • GI JOCKEY 4 2007
    • METAL GEAR ONLINE
    • METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS
    • IMABIKISOU
    • Blast Factor (*1)
    • echochrome
    • Folklore (*1)
    • FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION (*1)
    • Go! Sports Ski (*1)
    • Heavenly Sword (*1)
    • MotorStorm (*1)
    • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    • Resistance: Fall of Men (*1)
    • Super Stardust HD (*1)
    • TOY HOME
    • Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
    • Warhawk (*1)

LIST OF PLAYSTATION®3 TITLES COMPATIBLE WITH DUALSHOCK®3 IN NORTH AMERICA AND EUROPE *2
    • The Darkness
    • Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
    • Soldier of Fortune
    • Resident Evil 5
    • Devil May Cry 4
    • N-Cube
    • Warbit
    • Dark Sector
    • Turok
    • Highlander
    • Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
    • Burnout Paradise
    • FIFA franchise (title name TBD)
    • Legendary: The Box
    • To End All Wars
    • Rage
    • WarDevil: Unleash the Beast Within
    • Dynasty Warriors 6
    • Fatal Inertia
    • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    • Blacksite: Area 51
    • Unreal Tournament 3
    • Wheelman
    • Cops (codename, title name TBD)
    • Planet One (codename, title name TBD)
    • Heroes over Europe
    • Condemned 2
    • Iron Man
    • The Club
    • The Crucible
    • The Incredible Hulk
    • Blast Factor (*1)
    • Echochrome
    • Elefunk
    • Folklore (*1)
    • Formula One Championship Edition (*1)
    • Heavenly Sword (*1)
    • MLB 08: The Show
    • MotorStorm (*1)
    • NBA 08 (*1)
    • Pain
    • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    • Resistance: Fall of Man (*1)
    • SOCOM: Confrontation
    • Super Stardust HD (*1)
    • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    • Warhawk (*1)
    • WipEout HD
    • GripShift
    • NBA 2K8
    • Destroy All Humans 3
    • Stuntman Ignition
    • Assassin's Creed
    • Beowulf
    • Haze
    • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced
    • Warfighter 2 (*1)
    • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas (*1)
    • Prototype
    • The Chronicles of Rid$#@!: Assault on Dark Athena

(*1) Users will be able to enjoy the rumble feature through software update.
    (*2) Actual titles to be released may vary among countries and regions.

Conclusion : Overall, the PS3 DualShock 3 Controller is a must own for the complete gaming experience. Gaming is not the same anymore without rumble. Rumble is pretty much a standard in gaming these days. Unfortunately, Europe and North America has seen release and wont see it until Spring 2008. The standalone SIXAXIS retails for $50USD but the DualShock 3 should retail for about the same when released. So importing right now, you're paying an extra $10USD and its well worth it. DS3 only comes in two colors; white and black. Remember that it does not come with USB cable so you'll have to use the cable that came with the PlayStation 3.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; January 4th, 2011 at 00:32.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

does it have motion sensor like the current sixaxis?

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justise View Post
    does it have motion sensor like the current sixaxis?
    Yes it does. Its the same exact thing like the SIXAXIS but with rumble.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Indeed, i want to get me a white one.

Very nice indeed.
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

Same here, though I wonder if Sony would make that silver boomerang style controller and have it hit retailer shelves? If that happened, I'd get one or two right away.

I imported one back around the time they first came out. Definitely worth the money. PS2 games just didn't feel right, and the added rumble is quite nice in games that really feel like they need it, which is most.
    Last edited by bandit; February 10th, 2008 at 21:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Klownes View Post
    I imported one back around the time they first came out. Definitely worth the money. PS2 games just didn't feel right, and the added rumble is quite nice in games that really feel like they need it, which is most.
    Which colour did you get?
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

the ceramic white is very good to hold, ceramic is the correct description in both colour and texture. After using the regular sixaxis the DS3 seamed to weigh a lot, but once you get used to it its perfect.

It is a slightly different shape from the sixaxis, slightly larger. You cant tell a difference from eye, but holding it definitely fills out your hands more. The analog sticks are also smoother.

vibration is stronger than DS2 due to using a different motor setup, the DS2 used a large motor with a large mass on one side, coupled with a smaller motor with a small mass on the other. In the DS3 the mass setup is the same, but the motors are the same size for both. In my experience this causes more vibration on one side when playing PS2 titles, but playing Resistance or Motorstorm is much more balanced.

My only negative, [is very petty] the battery is the same power as the regular sixaxis, but the size is reduced significantly - enough to require an additional cradle which fits into the old battery cradle which holds it in place on the circuit.
    This means a better battery could have been fitted into the same size, which may have upped the [still great] battery life.

a must buy, you should be able to import for less than a regular sixaxis so what are you waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Accordion View Post
    It is a slightly different shape from the sixaxis, slightly larger. You cant tell a difference from eye, but holding it definitely fills out your hands more. The analog sticks are also smoother.
    I found my Analog Sticks on my DS3 to be sticky, like a little resistance when first moved. Wonder if i got a defect?

-Xiofire

Quote Originally Posted by Xiofire View Post
    I found my Analog Sticks on my DS3 to be sticky, like a little resistance when first moved. Wonder if i got a defect?

-Xiofire
    Does it still occur?

Usually problem like that simply need 'breaking in' to get a smoother action.

It is also possible that the board has warped slightly and caused the sticks to touch the upper case. This would either need a light reduction of the inside casing, or simply padding the board to hold it down.

In fact, i had to pad the underside of my left stick in order to bring it up to the correct position. It appeared to be in working order, but when playing up/down movements were unresponsive because the lower the stick the lower the turning effect upon it.

You could of course return the controller for a replacement, but whether that is worth the hassle is up to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information