Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dead Memory Card Problem

Blog Entries

Unhappy The Dead Memory Card Problem

The PSP while a great console with clearly a low battery life and a screen thats a bit too easily scratched has it seems a far greater problem and that problem is the Dead memory Card Problem, it doesnt matter if you are usin Homebrew/Emulators or just Games and putting Photos/Movies/MP3s on the Card it seems that a simple pressing of the power off button or indeed anything can fry the Memory Card, My card a Sandisk 1gb which cost me over £100 (yes im crying as i write this) died when the emulator i tried crashed and i did a restart by taking the battery out and now the PSP nor Card reader will recognise the Card so im stuck all ways.

At a £100/$100 a throw this is a major worry for all PSP owners, none of us can throw away that type of money, is it a dodgy batch of Sandisk memory cards in my case or is there some miracle cure to get the card working again.

(if there is let us all know)

Whatever the problem we and thats a big we need that fix sooner rather than later.

For those interested my card isnt recognised by my PC or PSP but when in the PSP the orange light is flickering nonstop.

UPDATE

Ok ive fixed it, it seems.

Firstly you need to get a PC Reader for the Mem Card this doesnt work on PSP at all or via the USB Lead.

Once you have your PC Reader installed then insert your 1gb card (in my case)

When i clicked on the drive it was slow to enter and it said there was nothing there.

Right Click the drive the card is in

Click format (dont quick format)

If your Lucky it will format and you will have a working card again.

This has just worked for me and the PC Card Reader cost me £8 so its a worthwhile investment., remember before you format and you click on the drive it wil say theres nothing there but if you right click and then format you may if your lucky be able to format and save your card.

Fingers crossed for you all, my card seems to be working fine now

that sucks big time i had a problem like that with my ngage mmc but if i used my camera to reformat it and it worked again. i dont know if this will help you or not but its worth looking into.

Blog Entries

i got it working see above

this seems to happen with sandisk memory sticks for psp. every thread with a broken MS is a sandisk. ive never heard of a sony MS breaking like this. did you use the memory stick swaploit? maybe that was a catalyst, or it could be that sandisk doesnt make good quality/compatibility MS for psp. i bought a sony MS (i bought a sony for fear of something like this happening. but it is very good news to hear that they arent completly broken when something like this happens.

I would agree that nobody i know has that kinda $$$ to just throw away. Ive had emu's crash on me on PSP and freeze.. i also had to pull my battery pack out to re-boot the machine and lucky for me that doing so didnt affect my memory stick ( Sandisk 1gb ) But im happy to hear that you figured out a way to get it working again... Did you try reformating the memory stick with your PSP?? If so im guessing it didnt work.... BTW Omoikane I like your Velevet Acid Christ PSP ..

Cool This is good news

That makes me feel some what safter with my own 1 gig now
    I honestly thought they where just dieing on ppl

still im wondering if its just the sandisk MS's or all brands. i mean it is a problem that this keeps hapening so if it is all mem stick brands sony needs to fix this problem

I could've told you how to fix it, i've seen many many people who had this problem. Just backup your saves folder every once and a while when you connect and you won't have to worry about anything. As for the battery life, it works fine for me for the quality it is. This might be due to the fact that I'm used to my laptop running on battery for a max of one hour and now suddenly I can play emulators all night long at 333mhz.

Also back onto topic, I'm pretty sure if you accidentally hit the reset button when ANYTHING is saving on ANY card it becomes corrupted. I've done many risky things with my card (the swaploit for example when it first came out....that was a pain in the ass), but I can say that I've never had the problem with my sandisk.

I wouldn't assume its just a Sandisk problem. From what I understand most people get sandisk because its cheaper and actually faster than Sony branded MS.

sandisks might be faster and cheaper but i havent read anything about a sony MS giving up the ghost, just 1gig sandisks (mostly) and other sandisk sizes. it could be that the people who had sony a ms didnt do the swaploit or it may not even be the swaploit but from all the posts that ive read so far its only sandisk memory sticks that are becoming so easily corrupted. and if im wrong prove me wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information