Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UMD movies region coding - make this an official "hack" thread PLEASE!

DCEmu Newbie

Arrow UMD movies region coding - make this an official "hack" thread PLEASE!

OK, I am still awaiting delivery of my PSP 1-2 weeks because I live in New Zealand. I was thinking about how watching movies might be interesting if im in the car (because usually i get tired concentrating on the move - i dont know why lol). Of course, as everybody knows, that movies are going to be region locked, and it would be nice to go and pick up a decent title (they are about half the price of an average DVD in new zealand, and I just found this out after I order the PSP from the states!!) before I go on a bit of a long ride.

Yes, the UMDs are going to be different regions - Does anybody know of a way I can flash or modify the firmware or something to allow different region UMDs to be played? I have ordered the US one, but being able to pick one off the shelf might become a better option than having to wait for it to be shipped and incur charges etc. I am very interested in finding some sort of workaround for this. Thanks for any help in advance.

well, it's simple:
    u have japanese movies that u probably can't understand
    no european movie (that i know)
    and some good american movies

why do you want to be able to play different regions? :P
    just get us movies

Because like he said, he may want to just pick the movie up off the shelf, and it may be a suprise to you but his local store will have US movies with New Zealand region code!!

No European movies? What about -

Shuan of the Dead
    Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    Snatch
    28 Days
    Trainspotting

Just to name a few. You uncultured swine

Cool

Well, depending on how handy you are with your PC you could always just go the large MS route. I know the pricetag is pretty hefty for a 1GB card (not sure of the cost in New Zealand) but it really pays for itself after a while. If your PC has a DVD Rom drive you just need SmartRipper and PSP Video 9 and you can rip pretty easily from a DVD.

hey, i bought the PSP to play, not to watch movies, i've got a portable dvdplayer :P

i know some good european movies, but i didn't knew they were already released to the PSP :P

DCEmu Newbie

Post true

I will definately be getting a big memory stick, but I dont want to have to rip, encode and transfer all the files which will probably take a while, and I would also like to save some decent amount of space for MP3s, funny clips and pics etc.

Suprisingly, the UMDs are goind to be charged a lot cheaper than I thought (I dont know about the rest of you though!). So if anything comes up that might be useful - please post! Thanks. Also, showing off cool movies to your friends will be awesome!

England - don't forget we invented the English language!

I think as memory cards become cheaper more and more people will rip movies onto them.

Maybe one day we will get a UMD burner too and that will make it easier to watch the movies we already own on the PSP.

i think that the big problem is that the MSDUO are new tecnology, maybe in about 6 months they get cheaper...

DCEmu Newbie

wouldn't count on it, not for nzers anyway

well, if you r good with hardware, i dont remember exactly where i can look it up if you want, but i saw where someone used a cellphone MSDUO>MS adapter and got a normal memory stick working for the psp! however, this is highly inconvienient; though it might look streamlined and nice on a cell phone, its a big lump sticking outa the side of the psp. But if a company decides to make on specially for the psp, that could really help with the expensive memory stick trouble and make it much more common practice to simply rip a dvd onto a memory stick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information