Thread: Spinal's Movie Player...

Blog Entries

NDS Spinal's Movie Player...

News/release from Spinal:

I have been working on a small movie player based on work by Eponasoft and nicoco73. I originally intended to make Eponasofts converter a bit quicker, but ended up changing the movie format and adding a couple of extras.

Format-wise it is similar to Eponasoft's media format, using jpg images for the frames and uncompressed audio. It uses ffmpeg to convert the movies, so almost any format can be converted (I have already tested mpg,vob,flv(youtube) anbd a few others. You can skip back and forward using the << and >> buttons and you can seek by tapping the progress bar. Pleas not though, you may need to hold the stylus down for a short period, as a lot of the processing power is taken up by the decoding.

Anyway, I'm having a little trouble getting the timing right (you might hear a slight clicking in the audio), so if anyone wants to help, please do.

Here is the Movie Player with scource and converter, also an Example movie file converted from a youtube clip.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

DCEmu Rookie

Nice, all of a sudden we've got competition in the homebrew video player market and everyone benefits! Moonshell was ok but buggy, and DSMPlay was by the same guy and had much higher bitrates so it wasn't that feasible for regular use. DSVideo has a great UI and I have great hopes for this one as well. It seems this isn't perfect yet, but then no one starts out perfect.

DCEmu Rookie

This seems like an mjpeg variant, based on the description. I can only imagine the files will be HUGE.

DCEmu Rookie

Ahh, but isn't moonshell an mjpeg variant too? The DPG files are pretty big but not entirely unreasonable.

I'm sorry to say guys, but the file size is quite big, I'm using uncompressed audio for one thing. It was not meant as competition for the other formats, I just wanted to see if it would be usable for small clips, like cut-scenes in games or something.

Thread Information