Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soywiz`s PSP Emulator 2008-03-01 released

nice !

hmm... ima try it out to see what works

Anybody tried this? Does it work well?

its really hard to get going. Can only run one piece of homebrew (the one which was part of the binary) & that was luck.
    Could someone make a tutorial fo this

PSP Coder

maybe if this continues a i won't get another psp

Why? That comment was lame, no offense.
    A programmer might not care if a PSP is portable when he's
    already stuck in front of a PC to write the program.
    Then it's easier to use the emulator for small changes if it becomes that good.

That's the way homebrew for the PSX was created.
    It was much more work to burn a CD for every program change.

DCEmu Coder

It's good to see someone doing something significant in D. It's a very nifty language.

Comments from the author:

Hi, I'm the author of the emulator. (Sorry about my bad English, I'm Spanish.)

In the first place, I'd like to say that I didn't want to make the emulator public yet, but I posted in ps2dev asking for some information and somebody spreaded it.

My first intention was to make a proof of concept just for myself; I wanted to make an emulator, just for fun.

In fact, it's based in Noxa's great work, and I've never hid it.
    I used the pspsdk for the HLE functions, and pspplayer for starting gpu rendering. I checked most of the instructions he implemented from the gpu and reimplemented them in my code, mantaining it as simple as I could —reconsidering some of the code, like texture mapping or clut; I tried to use OpenGL shaders for implementing skinning and clut.
    CPU is interpreted (and it still will in the future, since the purpose of the emulator is not playing, but debugging), and it's based in the official R4000 specs plus the documentation of the ps2dev community.
    I use DFL for the GUI.

And well, my intention is not to make a HLE emulator, but make it work using a dump from the original firmware. At this moment I'm trying to gather as much info as possible about the firmware and bootstrap.

Of course, I'm not trying to compete with pspplayer, but develop an interpreted alternative with a good debugger, and, if possible, emulating the firmware.
    Also, I think I could help to improve pspplayer as I improve my emulator, if Noxa likes.
    I have been reading a lot of info about psp firmware and hardware to determine if it's feasible to make a non HLE emulator.

At this point this is very unlikely.

PSP has a piece of hardware to decrypt some important files and make other kind of crypto operations.

This piece of hardware is called kirk and it's used to decrypt IPL at the boot and PRX files (dynamic libraries).

The only way to use firmware is to make a firmware decrypted; and it isn't very useful.

So the best option is to make an HLE emulation. And I will continue by that way. I will focus specially on the debugger and running homebrew at this point.

DCEmu Newbie

Uhhhmmm How do istall it???

good

DCEmu Regular

Spanish eh? Hmm I smell sum1 very skilled behind this.

The year of PSP emu on window maybe 2008.
    Good to have an emu, like I can play games at home with it. The PSP would be use outside the house. Oh crap, if this happen, I wont have anymore problem with "2nd" analog! ^_^

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information