Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Plus 01/03/2008 - Genesis/Megadrive Emulator for Gamecube and Nintendo Wii

Blog Entries

Rev Genesis Plus 01/03/2008 - Genesis/Megadrive Emulator for Gamecube and Nintendo Wii

Eke-Eke just posted this fantastic news on his site and yes the first Native Genesis/Megadrive emulator for the Wii (Gamecube too) and most importantly of all the worlds first console based emulator to run Virtua Racing

DIGG THIS RELEASE

Here’s the time for another release of Genesis Plus. I have focused myself in fixing some bugs I introduced in the previous version, as well as emulating most of unlicensed “non-working” games (many thanks to Haze for his work).

I also made some progress about emulating an original YM2612 bug that made some games (Ariel, Shaq Fu, Comix Zone, Spiderman & Animated Series,…) sound correct on real hardware but wrong on emulators.

Finally, I added SVP emulation thanks to the great work of Tasco Deluxe and Notaz : as a result, Virtua Racing is now fully playable but don’t expect to run it full speed in gamecube mode. It needs to emulate a custom DSP running at 23Mhz which takes a lot of CPU time actually. You can still underclock the DSP but it will result in slower 3D rendering and effective framerate will still seem slower.

That’s why, to celebrate the last release of LibOGC which added Wii hardware support, I also release a special elf version that could be running in native Wii mode using the recent “Twilight hack“. Please note that this version remain completely UNTESTED as I personnaly don’t have any way to test it on Wii. SO, tell me if the above game is at least running faster

Here is a complete changelog for this release:

[Genesis]
    - added SVP emulation: Virtua Racing is now emulated (big thanks to Notaz and TascoDeluxe)
    - fixed VDP registers behaviour when VDP Mode 4 is enabled: fix Bass Masters Classic Pro, Captain Planet & The Planeeters
    - corrected a bug in DMA Fill operation: fix James Pond 3, Rockman World/Megaman Willy Wars (corrupted VRAM)
    - corrected typo errors in CPU cycle counters update: fix optiom screen music in “College Slam” and probably others games.
    - added preliminary support of undocumented YM2612 bug: fixes soundtracks of Shaq Fu, Spiderman, Comix Zone, Ariel and some others
    - added support for mappers & copy protection devices used in many unlicensed/pirate cartridges (see cart_hw.c for details)
    - rewrote memory handlers for better modularity and some (little) speedup
    - reduced Savestate size

[NGC]
    - compiled with last LibOGC (20080228): fix issues when unplugging controller, support for Wii mode (see release.txt)
    - added “hard-coded” IPL font (no more direct access to BOOTROM): fix font problem for Qoob users
    - added SDCARD Slot B support for loading Roms
    - removed unused MAME PSG Core
    - added ‘Force DTACK’ option for prototype games usually hanging on real hardware (example: Sonic Crackers)
    - added an option to underclock SVP core (with default cycle count, Virtua Racing actually does not run fullspeed in GC mode)

Download and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports Via Comments

DCEmu Newbie

That's not quite true, there's already an emulator which has run Virtua Racing for about a month now:
    http://notaz.gp2x.de/svp.php

It's open source so I'm sure all Genesis emulators will soon adopt this.

The codebase is from notaz, so I assume that they aren't including handhelds in that definition.

Blog Entries

actually only a PC Emulation version is running virtua racing and yes thats by Notaz, but what i said was the worlds first console version

Quote Originally Posted by SSUK View Post
    That's not quite true, there's already an emulator which has run Virtua Racing for about a month now:
    http://notaz.gp2x.de/svp.php

It's open source so I'm sure all Genesis emulators will soon adopt this.

"first Native Genesis/Megadrive emulator for the Wii (Gamecube too)"

I assume you can use this with the TP Exploit?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Eggman View Post
    I assume you can use this with the TP Exploit?

According to the original post, you can.
    I'm trying to this set up for when I get my SD adaptor in a few days, and was just wondering if it was normal that after patching the elf file to my SD (using writeelf and the padding file as Ive seen directed), that the .elf file doesnt appear on my SD card?

Edit: Never mind my question, found out that's what is supposed to happen
    Last edited by Sir_Voe; March 5th, 2008 at 21:17.

Has anyone gotten this to work with the Zelda Wii exploit? I can get the program to run, but when I load a rom nothing happens.

hey $n!pR long time no see :P did you try the same game as the vid bro?

if you manage to get it running PM me ill do the same thanx in advanced man.. ( but i have seen some promising vids of gamecube linux running so what are the chances that a linux emu may run on the wii?)

EDIT: just an obsevance but try to convert your ROM to a .BIN file like in the video? ill have a go at this in the morning...

USE THIS it shoud do the trick to convert to BIN bro... PLACE ROMS IN ms0:/genplus/roms directory
    http://www.programmersheaven.com/dow.../download.aspx
    Last edited by PeyeRate420; March 26th, 2008 at 05:18.

Why can't the wii load the roms straight from the front sd slot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information