Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kojima: MGS4 too big for 50 GB Blu-ray disc

Blog Entries

ps3 Kojima: MGS4 too big for 50 GB Blu-ray disc

It's not much of a shocker to learn the latest (and final) installment in the Metal Gear Solid series is a sizable one -- MGS games have a history of being big (and beautiful). However, a recent interview with series creator Hideo Kojima revealed a startling fact about MGS4 -- Kojima complained that a few features had to be cut from the game so it would fit on a Blu-ray disc. As format fanatics already know, that means the game takes up nearly 50 gigabytes of space.

If true, this is bad news for anyone who hoped to see anthropomorphic cow-bots on the 360 (unless that data was divided between about five dual-layer DVDs), but it could also mean a painfully long installation time for PS3 owners as well. We can only imagine that 49 of those gigabytes are taken up by thousands of variations on just three lines of dialogue -- "Snake? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/02/ko...-blu-ray-disc/

Someone should let him know that 100GB discs exist

DCEmu Legend

I had a gut feeling that Kojima would fill that space on principle.

Thank God for Blu-Ray in the PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by $n!pR View Post
    Someone should let him know that 100GB discs exist
    Yeah they are possible , and i'm guessing that kojima knows this, so there must be a reason why he decided to cut features on the dual layer 50 gig disc instead of using a 4 layer 100 gig disc. Anyways who care the game will kick ass. This is just going to get fanboys ranting about how blueray roxors dude. Hopefully the game lives up to the hype(which I am pretty sure it will
    since it is konami's premier franchise).

Can you just imagine the loading times?! O.o
    Remember when a game filled up under 1 MB per ROM? Times change...

holy crap.... wow

Holy $#@! batman, thats a big game.

100gb Blu-ray discs would make the game mighty expensive though. To be honest though, i would pay like £100 for MGS.
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

and people said it would happen only on a supposed Xbox 360 version.. haha

DCEmu Legend

There a 2 reasons I can see why a 100gb disc would have no made the grade:

-Cost, not only to the company but to the end user. A more expensive medium would have had to increase the price of the end cost of the game, which could potentially cost Konami and Kojima game sales.

As well, putting the game on a more expensive medium (100gb disc vs 50gb) would have costed the company more money to publish the game, which in turn would mean reduced profits which means more game sales to recoup that loss.

-Technology. The PS3 can read dual layered discs just fine. However, I do not know if there would be problems with reading a quad layered disc (maybe there will, maybe there won't). But, if the PS3 can only read a dual layered disc, having a quad layered disc would be impossible; especially if the limitation is a hardware one (something that can't be fixed with a firmware upgrade).

Quote Originally Posted by JKKDARK View Post
    and people said it would happen only on a supposed Xbox 360 version.. haha
    The fact that it happened on the PS3, WITH Blu-Ray is indicative enough to me that DVDs are dead as a gaming medium.

So enjoy knowing that next year, all games on the 360 will have to be cut, or have to be on two or more discs because of Microshaft's lack of foresight.

Then again, what does Microsoft care, their next console will have a Blu-Ray drive, no doubt, and they'll make tons of money on their next console. Like the oil and car companies, microsoft loves technological stagnation, because its a cheap way at high revenue.
    Last edited by F9zDark; March 3rd, 2008 at 16:27.

So enjoy knowing that next year, all games on the 360 will have to be cut, or have to be on two or more discs because of Microshaft's lack of foresight.
    It was normal with the PlayStation, so it's not an problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information