Poll: What do you program with when handling game graphics?

Thread: Developer Questions

DCEmu Rookie

Default Developer Questions

I'm starting Development on Dreamcast. now i have all my stuff setup and made a crappy little hello world app in SDL.

what do you use for programming when it comes to graphics.
    (I'd really love to hear from the programmers of current commercial homebrew what they used - like CA or Harmlesslion)
    Last edited by dcdood; March 4th, 2008 at 23:17.

DCEmu Rookie

i wonder if DCastle would ever just have the holly 3d engine? that's a really good engine and if we can use that ... Homebrew would be close to our beloved GD Collection

Quote Originally Posted by dcdood View Post
    i wonder if DCastle would ever just have the holly 3d engine? that's a really good engine and if we can use that ... Homebrew would be close to our beloved GD Collection
    No, a128 said it's a modified version of iris3d which is already included in KOS.

If I understand Heinrich Tillack correctly, then the modified version of Iris3D actually is a good part of what was supposed to be Holly3D.

It doesn't have the name, but many of the changes to Iris3D planned for Holly are in there.

I think going with the name "Holly" for the scheduled public release was just a way to tell people "look, so much has changed; this actually is a new engine, and not just a simple update of Iris3D."

Quote Originally Posted by a128 View Post
    I will not release holly 3d ....simply it's not finished and currently (this might change) I do not develop for DC

but the modified iris3d version included in the dcastle source code it very powerfull.

the difference to iris3d is (if I remember this right)

1) lighting is handled different...very optimized
    2)fog is added and is working!
    3)bumpmapping is added and working
    4)imageloading PVR, added
    5)object culling is in two stages
    6)billboards added
    stage 1 is Sphere culling
    stage 2 is box culling

many many bug fixes

Here's how I come to my conclusion:

Quote Originally Posted by http://a128.atspace.com/holly3d/
    History - from Iris3d to Holly: In 2002 I added Triangle Strips clipping and IMD animation with vertex interpolation to Iris3D V0.7 by Olivier Chatry. Olivier the author of Iris3D included the patches into Iris3D V0.9.1. Which is the last official version of Iris 3D. In 2003 I started to modifiy this C++ code just for fun! Since 2003 I replaced (rewrote) around 99% of the C++ code, so I called the SDK Holly and NOT Iris-3D V2 as I thought before. Too much has changed - compared to Iris3D. I used the modified 3d engine for my own game projects (like DCASTLE). So here it is. Stay tuned for the upcoming release. .
    Last edited by Christuserloeser; March 9th, 2008 at 08:53.

Iris3D isn't actually modified. It's libOpcode is modified and KOS doesn't seem to have it bundled anymore.

Thread Information