Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to download google satellite or hybrid maps?

DCEmu Newbie

Default How to download google satellite or hybrid maps?

Two questions for in7sane and nieko.

1. How to download google satellite or hybrid maps using gmdl. The download only last a few minutes then a server busy message comes up interrupting the process. Is there any way we can bypass this?
    2. Currently we can use gmdl and nieko’s route generation web page to get directions. We input the start and end points to get the direction, without any controls to it, but using google we can change the routes by interactively dragging the lines. We have no way to take advantage of this. There is a program called GMapToGPX (http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/) which is able to extract the route information directly from google web pages. The problem is that the output format is gpx which is not supported by gmdl. Do you have plan to add it to the next gmdl release  ?

Thanks for your help.

DCEmu Newbie

Hey all good to see that i`m not the one and only with this problem.but thats not so nice.

I used mapthis few years but only normal maps,now i think its time to try the satelitemaps but it isn´t really good .....same problem same error,the load is started and after few minutes is the connection away......

whats going on there? maybe a sniffer that control the load of maps?

Please help us...... maybe Nieko?

Thanks all

DCEmu Regular

1. Google blocks your IP for a few hours after a certain number of satellite (and therefore hybrid) tiles, factors in this are:
    - your IP block (country based probably)
    - tiles being in a single region (I recall running two instances of GMDL downloading different regions seemed to work, but this is/will probably be fixed)
    - whatever else (having a delay between tiles does not seem to make a difference though, neither does randomizing the order of tiles within the region)

2. In GMDL you should be able to drag the path about and then click Get Values - this should get the modified (multistage) path.

Dont use google to download hybrid maps, you'll never get the maps you want.

Use MSN maps to get the hybrid maps, you won't get no ip blocks. i know this because i got the maps for the central part of the UK that way, takes afew hourz to get what you want, so only run this during the night, when your sleeping

DCEmu Newbie

ms maps are a little out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by daivd View Post
    ms maps are a little out of date.
    Thats up to you

It does the job for me, so i don't see that as a problem

but, you'll find it a pain in the ass to download from google maps coz of the ip block

DCEmu Newbie

Thanks Adam i will try msn-maps for satelites.

DCEmu Pro

Quote Originally Posted by daivd View Post
    2. Currently we can use gmdl and nieko’s route generation web page to get directions. We input the start and end points to get the direction, without any controls to it, but using google we can change the routes by interactively dragging the lines. We have no way to take advantage of this.
    This is somewhat true. You can simply calculate multiple routes, inputting first A->B, then B->C, C->D, etc. You then need to paste all these routes into one file.

Quote Originally Posted by daivd
    There is a program called GMapToGPX (http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/) which is able to extract the route information directly from google web pages. The problem is that the output format is gpx which is not supported by gmdl. Do you have plan to add it to the next gmdl release  ?
    That's a very interesting idea . I'll take a look at the Javascript and will try to get it to output Map This! compatible routes.

DCEmu Pro

Well, I've got some basic functionality working. It currently doesn't support midpoints, directions are often cut short or even undefined, but the basic idea is there .

Hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to improve it.

See http://getroute.nieko.net/ for the bookmarklet.

Hi In7ane I have a question here is there a way to get the satelite maps from google earth? may be this could be a solution for ip blocking and maybe we can have maps with some personalitation like poligons or regions

its only a idea you are the expert here thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information