Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quake 3 Now Opensource!!!

shut up; destroying hopes and sh*t...

I'm getting sick of people who say's that it's impossible to create a port of quake 3 to the PSP because it doesn't has enough RAM.
    I'm playing quake 3 on my dell axim x51v with only 32 mb free RAM and it runs good altough you need a fast pda for it.
    so it's possible to create a port of quake 3 to the PSP especially for the PSP slim wit 64 mb RAM.

Well, then you have to figure out how much RAM would be used from the actual running of the homebrew app, which could vary a lot. But yes, with the Slim's amount of RAM, it's quite possible. Of course, I never saw much use in spending EVEN MORE money on a Slim (would be my 3rd PSP) just for twice the RAM. Sure, it would come in handy, but before you know it, Sony's out with something 'better' (harder to mod), that has even more capabilities... It would bring me into the vicious buying cycle I don't really want to enter... That is, if Sony ups the PSP's performance yet again.

hey guys it isnt impossible, i run q3 years ago on my $#@!ty amd k6 with 32 mb ram, 400 mhz, 8mb video memory...

The psp slim is much better that this system because the psp os doesnt eat resources like win98 does, plus the texture resolution doesnt need to be the same than the pc version, because you wont notice the difference (the psp res is very low compared to pc). Also as i know the psp runs some linux based os, maybe someone could try to port the linux quake 3 version...

The only problem is that as it seems q3 is very optimized, which makes it difficult to port without spending ages on it.

Definetly if someone ports it, it would be the BEST game on psp.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by monstercamf View Post
    hey guys it isnt impossible, i run q3 years ago on my $#@!ty amd k6 with 32 mb ram, 400 mhz, 8mb video memory...
    You ran it with VIRTUAL MEMORY. The PSP doesn't have the ability to do that. Without VM, you need at least 64 MB of real memory.

The psp slim is much better that this system because the psp os doesnt eat resources like win98 does, plus the texture resolution doesnt need to be the same than the pc version, because you wont notice the difference (the psp res is very low compared to pc). Also as i know the psp runs some linux based os, maybe someone could try to port the linux quake 3 version...
    The PSP OS is not linux based in the slightest. The homebrew SDK is mostly POSIX compliant, which makes porting linux apps easier, but it's nothing like linux. The biggest differences are in the areas that mean the most with games: video, sound, and input. So it's still a major effort porting many games.

The only problem is that as it seems q3 is very optimized, which makes it difficult to port without spending ages on it.

Definetly if someone ports it, it would be the BEST game on psp.
    Q3 is doable on the Slim. It's just a lot of work that devs aren't willing to do just yet. Someone will eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n 1time View Post
    if you do il kiss you.
    yeah =D me too!

its not like it would be impossible to write a prx assigning a small part of memory stick space for use as additional ram, no?

the transfer speed of any decent stick should be able to more than handle q3a + minor additional strain from such a use.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEfreak88 View Post
    its not like it would be impossible to write a prx assigning a small part of memory stick space for use as additional ram, no?

the transfer speed of any decent stick should be able to more than handle q3a + minor additional strain from such a use.
    The CPU in the PSP doesn't have an MMU, so conventional virtual memory is impossible. You'd need to rewrite a compiler so that every access to memory is instead made into a subroutine that emulated an MMU. That would slow the programs dramatically. So in the end, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Even Nokia N95 8GB,N82 and E90 can run it. Why not PSP?

DCEmu Coder

Read the full thread.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information