Thread: PS3 MMO could rival Warcraft, says Sony

ps3 PS3 MMO could rival Warcraft, says Sony

via MCV

President of Sony Online Entertainment John Smedley has suggested that the PS3 can one day host an MMO game to rival the popularity of World Of Warcraft.

The news comes after Sony announced that it was restructuring, with PlayStation president Kaz Hirai taking control of SOE.

MCV interpreted the move as a statement of intent that Sony will target the MMO market with PS3.

Smedley wasasked if the industry would ever see a console MMO that could compete with Warcraft. Speaking to GameDaily, he said:

"I absolutely do [think we'll see that], and in fact I think by having a stable platform where every customer has an online capable box is a huge, huge potential advantage in building an MMO because you've already got an online userbase.

“It's a massive advantage over the PC and we don't have to worry about graphics cards or things like that. It's going to be very big. Console online gaming in general I think is going to be one of the next huge phases of growth in the online gaming space."

somethink i seriously doubt seen as though the xbox 360 hasnt pulled it off yet, online on the ps3 needs a little work yet

I don't think it's an issue of the console. Any of them could host the next big MMO. It's an issue of content. It has to have all those addictive qualities. It really has little to do with the platform, as long it can support acceptable graphics...which really don't need to be all that great.

Thread Information