Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The OS Discussion Thread.

Attempt to place ndiswrapper 1.52 on it = errors, don't know why.

What, 2.6.7 / 2.6.8.1 are old ones? Then please tell me, what is the very latest Linux kernel as I'm confused which is it?

King of killed the_eternal_dark's Avatar

I got into using Linux mainly for hosting game servers, particularly CS Source and UT2k4. I started to experience slowdowns and random BSODs and figured that I would switch over my main desktop to Ubuntu 6.10. I've since updated to 7.10 and currently await 8.10 to release. I have since been hosting and playing games completely within Ubuntu with no problems. CoD4 and ET:QW are currently my favorite games to play. I have had NO problems in using Linux (any variant) to do what I have done on Windows. Linux has performed better than Windows in almost every task I have thrown at it. The only problem I had was learning how to build the CS dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrygue View Post
    Attempt to place ndiswrapper 1.52 on it = errors, don't know why.

What, 2.6.7 / 2.6.8.1 are old ones? Then please tell me, what is the very latest Linux kernel as I'm confused which is it?
    I believe 2.6.25 or so. What errors do you recieve in compiling?
    Last edited by Shrygue; March 21st, 2008 at 00:33.

Uh, hmm, let's see.... I think it's to do with reference info missing from somewhere. Like "no such -blank- on line whatever so or so. I can't say exactly what it is if I'm online. Also I'm still pretty new to Linux anyway.

Speaking if which, my reason for taking on Linux was simply to try something new, see if it appealed to me. I've used WIndows XP for quite a while but to be honest, I think I've been with Windows 3.1 a bit more than XP. Yes, I have some problems here and there in Linux OS but I'll eventually work them out. Kubuntu is ace, be looking forward to the next release when it arrives.
    Last edited by Shrygue; March 21st, 2008 at 00:35.

King of killed the_eternal_dark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shrygue View Post
    Uh, hmm, let's see.... I think it's to do with reference info missing from somewhere. Like "no such -blank- on line whatever so or so. I can't say exactly what it is if I'm online. Also I'm still pretty new to Linux anyway.
    Doesn't sound like a missing dependency or anything of that nature. If you get the chance, let me know if you find out the error.

Dream Coder

My 2c:

I've tried using various *nixes before and simply don't find them as useful. Most of the time the issues that arise are not those of application software, as I don't have many special needs on that front, but of drivers for specialty hardware, which is often extremely lacking.

I've never had severe problems with windows with the exception of when my parents upgraded from 3.1 to 95 back in the day, which I totally didn't like. Many people say things like "you have to reset windows once a week or it'll become unusable". Bull. My desktop's uptime is measured in months, and the only time I do end up turning it off is generally either when installing major pieces of software that require rebooting (video drivers, windows updates, etc) or when physically moving the machine.

As for the other major issue commonly cited for 'windows sucking', security, I've had issues with virii/hacking maybe twice in the past 6 years. 99% of keeping safe is user action and not any sort of protection software.

The last bit would be OSX. Great system, but minimally configurable. If you don't like Windows there are oodles of third party things (and first party ones) that let you modify almost every aspect of the common use of the system. OSX however, if you don't like it, tough. The key to it of course is that the system is designed in such a way that many people do like it, and kudos to them.

Something I'd reccomend if you are looking to switch OSs and have no need to use any specific program (that is to say for instance, you'd be fine using gimp as opposed to PS, or whatever) is SkyOS. Completely ground-up, and uses a digital distribution center for programs. Basically what this means is once set up, one of the options is to go to a download center, managed by the creators, and have easy access to pretty much all the software aviailible for it. In the same place, you can place bounties for people to port open source software, or contribute to funds to do so. Great system.

*All of the above refers solely to Windows XP when discussing Windows, as many of the statements are simply not true of previous versions.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Acorn Electron User

I can't honestly say which is best as I've not touched enough OSs to really understand or know in any depth, but since my College days I've been using Apple Macs on a daily basis and I like the OS very much. For somebody like me who's not too technical and just wants a stable OS for me to do stuff on, then it does the job very well in my opinion and I can't say the same for my experience with Windows (most of which is pre-XP).

I wish it (OSX) was better supported by 3rd parties in some areas and it lacks the wealth of software that other platforms have but you can usually find something to do the job that you need it for. Some more configuration might be nice too as mentioned already by Quzar.

I think that really all you need from an OS is something stable and easy to use, as the rest of the functionality really comes from the apps themselves. The OS should really just allow you to use everything trouble free. Maybe one day I'll try other OSs (not Windows though) but for the time being ignorance is bliss I'll stick with what I know and I think Apple are very good with their OSs.

I do hope that their increased popularity doesn't turn them into another MS but time will tell.

I think it will. Apples are becoming very very popular, and they will see there huge gap in the market as they get even more popular.

They will become like MS, I've been told by some avid Mac users that its already going that way.
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

I love Linux, but my only problem is after a day of working with ndiswrapper, i coulden't get my USB wifi device working on there so imm using windows till i get it working or i buy a new card

Im downloading uBuntu 8.04 x64 right now.
    It's 95% complete!

Im going to dualboot it with XP.

EDIT: I completely agree with what Quzar said above ^.
    Last edited by Eviltaco64; March 21st, 2008 at 19:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltaco64 View Post
    Im downloading uBuntu 8.04 x64 right now.
    It's 95% complete!

Im going to dualboot it with XP.

EDIT: I completely agree with what Quzar said above ^.
    I was going to download that beta.

Tell me whats its like when you have it up and running.
    PSN (PS3/PS4/Vita)/NintendoID - Triv1umx
    Steam - Rjinswand
    Runescape - Rjinswand

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information