Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halo multiplayer on dreamcast

Default Halo multiplayer on dreamcast

I was looking at my halo disk and most of the multi-player maps and the system files fit on a cd rom.

I know it's a longshot but can't the default.xbe be altered into a 1st_read.bin for the dreamcast so the game can run.

I know it would need to be tweakd alor but from what i've read with the right developers the dreamcast is capable of 4 times the graphics of quake 3 arena wich in my opinion halo fits the bill.

if only the engine can be modified to take advantage of the SH-4 cpu and the Powe VR2 chipset it would be nice............

No, not possible.

That's just not possible, dude.

First of all, you'd need the souce code of Halo to be able to compile it into a 1st_read.bin file. If you've played Unreal, you know it slows down in slightly large areas, and that's with crappy graphics. Halo has tons of large areas and good graphics.

what about outtrigger, decent graphics lightng effects and 60fps even in 4 player split screen on the biggest levels.....
    halo on xbox can't even do that.....

http://www.planetdreamcast.com/games...ws/outtrigger/

The biggest problem is, that the source code is not available. You cannot port a game without that.

whats Halo CE then how did they make a custom edition without the source code

oh, there is a way, you could break the file on the PC version and get the raw code like that, my friend did it for the closed source of Final Fantasy 7. of course, that is illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcast270mhz View Post
    oh, there is a way, you could break the file on the PC version and get the raw code like that, my friend did it for the closed source of Final Fantasy 7. of course, that is illegal
    What the hell are you talking about? One can disassemble a binary and reverse-engineer sourcecode from translating the instructions, but that requires far, far too much time and effort, and is pretty much not worth it, and you still won't have the original sourcecode.

Your friend must be very smart and have far too much free time on his hands, or one (or both) of you is lying.
    Last edited by Smurph; January 6th, 2009 at 03:23. Reason: made it a bit nicer

DCEmu Newbie

Halo CE was made by the people who own the code, methinks.

DCEmu Newbie

Maybe a Quake mod made with the DreamCast in mind, perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information