Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCEmulation Vs DCEmulation - The Battle of the Dreamcast Scene

Blog Entries

Home/News DCEmulation Vs DCEmulation - The Battle of the Dreamcast Scene

The homebrew community over the years has had its fair share of fun and site wars including PS2 Newz vs PS2 Ownz and Tehskeen Vs MaX-console, DCEmu vs QJ and DCEmulation vs Consolevision all quite vocal on all sides and from a neutral standpoint rather funny i suppose.

But now the homebrew scene enters a new era with one site split down the middle with a battle between DCEmulation.Org (The Admins, Staff and Coders) vs DCEmulation.Com (Webmaster and Various Members)

The battle may be on the Dreamcast Communitys turf but its interesting to all homebrew fans to see how things progress.

On one side you have the webmaster who created DCEmulation and although used some rather shady tactics ie naughty roms, fake News did actually create a very good Dreamcast Site and Community which at its time was one of the very best anywhere with so many great staff and coders, sadly most have moved on now. Now for the Negative about the Webmaster, for years and thats at least 3 years he has had little to no time spent on DCEmulation and thats where the breakaway group came in, the group of admins, staff and coders have worked on the site for the last 3 years rebuilding it all.

There are rights and wrongs on both sides and to be honest if your not going to work on a site then maybe you should pass the site over to others, i myself did this with DCEvolution and i knew it was in better hands than i could manage at that time. A good webmaster will do that but on the other hand the webmaster created the site and the final word lies with him.

Now this brings me to the present day last week the database and site were moved to a new domain ie DCEmulation.Org and the old site on .com deleted but 007 Cheater responded by reinstalling the database and the site at DCEmulation.Com.

At this time you have 2 sides both who are very strong in their beliefs, i do not know the legalities of it all but it makes for one of the most interesting site wars for a long time, will either side prevail, that i dont know, myself i favour the breakaway .org folks because they have the scenes interest at heart but was it a good idea to move the forum database/site without asking, im sure it wasnt.

Digg This

More info on this in these newsposts

DCEmulation.org - Official Statement

About dcemulation.com

DCEmulation.com is now DCEmulation.org

I must stress to all that DCEmu UK has nothing to do with any of the actions going off at DCEmulation but some of our staff are staff there so its very much of interest to us here and the Worldwide Homebrew Community at large.

I am happy for anyone to discuss the merits from both sides of the argument and hopefully the issue can be resolved as quick as possible.

I don't understand. What's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Moose View Post
    I don't understand. What's going on?
    Reread wraggster's post, but slowly this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark30001 View Post
    Reread wraggster's post, but slowly this time.
    I did. I read it like 5 times before I post the first time. I just couldn't find a definitive explanation.

Is there like a war or something going on? Legal battle? What?
    Last edited by Mini Moose; March 27th, 2008 at 00:53.

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post

I think...they should both get over it and regroup.

I'm sorry, too simple? It seems like the only thing in both interests would be to get over misunderstandings. Like adults, not politicians.

Still, for something happening online this sure is a lot of unnecessary drama. Long as I don't see death threats, I guess its still in control....

Honestly moving the site may be a big deal. However, unless they renamed it DCCRAPULREMJBF.com I think it still looks fine.

I hope .org will win this war

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblind View Post
    I think...they should both get over it and regroup.

I'm sorry, too simple? It seems like the only thing in both interests would be to get over misunderstandings. Like adults, not politicians.

Still, for something happening online this sure is a lot of unnecessary drama. Long as I don't see death threats, I guess its still in control....

Honestly moving the site may be a big deal. However, unless they renamed it DCCRAPULREMJBF.com I think it still looks fine.
    Imagine if instead of posting news here, wraggster only visited the network to post advertisements. That's basically what was going on with DCEmulation. The owner of the site, who had been last active maybe 7 years ago, had been using the site as an ad revenue due to the traffic that came through it. The people who had been running the site all this time finally got fed up with it and decided to cede. The only people left are some brand new users and a few people who had previously been banned (because in order to try to get more users, the owner cleared all the banned lists).

Wraggster's characterisation of the issue is designed to promote THIS DCEmu by saying that both sides in the above dispute are in the wrong, when that's simply not true. I can understand this notion, but it's most definetly colored by the fact that he split off from DCEmulation 4 years ago.

The situation is much closer to if wraggster were to move hosts, and martin decided to put up a backup of the DCEmu forums and site and claim that wraggster was a traitor and his site was the true one.
    Last edited by quzar; March 27th, 2008 at 02:04.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DcEmulation was the very first dreamcast site i came accross.It was a very informative,well run site.Great for helping with the emulators on dc.
    I hope people can sort their differences and I just want to thank the people who worked on the site for all their hard work in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    Imagine if instead of posting news here, wraggster only visited the network to post advertisements. That's basically what was going on with DCEmulation. The owner of the site, who had been last active maybe 7 years ago, had been using the site as an ad revenue due to the traffic that came through it. The people who had been running the site all this time finally got fed up with it and decided to cede. The only people left are some brand new users and a few people who had previously been banned (because in order to try to get more users, the owner cleared all the banned lists).

Wraggster's characterisation of the issue is designed to promote THIS DCEmu by saying that both sides in the above dispute are in the wrong, when that's simply not true. I can understand this notion, but it's most definetly colored by the fact that he split off from DCEmulation 4 years ago.

The situation is much closer to if wraggster were to move hosts, and martin decided to put up a backup of the DCEmu forums and site and claim that wraggster was a traitor and his site was the true one.
    couldn't of put it better myself.

As I see it, the .com domain stands little chance against the .org domain, with the backing of the admins and programmer their site will remain up to date and more current with the scene and also will house alot of the releases first. My support goes out to you guys at the .org domain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information