Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NEO4ALL/AES alpha-preview coming soon !

DCEmu Regular

as always- i stand correctead.

but hey, quzar, you should see if anyone from dciberia might co-op upgrade the tg16 emu with you, and like, make like a superhero coder crew.

Quote Originally Posted by quzar
    not really. it won't necessarily work with all neo geo games either. what it bases itself on is that in any prolonged period of time, the hardware only tries to access, maybe 8mb of a game. If you have it start up by loading only the files (since neogeo games are split into one file per rom chip) that are being read at that moment, then unloading the ones that were not used in a long time and loading in ones that are being requested, it would give you a lot of slowdown (while reading disc) everytime you need to load in a new rom. Basically this will only work for games where data is stored in clumps based on what level you are in
    I'm not sure how chui is doing it, but if it is a per-file basis, it might not work as well as if he would have lets say, just 256kb chuncks of files...
    It is not true, all roms are out of order, so appropriate prefetch is the key. After, game working-set is not very large (game depend), i think that some games won't be playables because large working-set and you will have to play without sound for cut out working-set.
    Also, for playing to NEO4ALL/AES, you will need convert NEOGEO rom first to correct format.
    I made a rom converter program for Windows and GNU/Linux, this program will have a little prefetch map database for each game.

It won't at all help the tg16 emulator, or genesis or snes or any of the other systems you listed. also, this is a very old thing, not something that chui wrote, and has been a feature of kos for a long time.
    Did you try MMU with KOS? Only can simple map memory and it is not enough.
    I had to patch KOS for work store queues and direct render, also i captured real SH4 exceptions for speed up.

It MIGHT be able to be used to play large games for gba or n64, but, it would also not work properly for all games (and by that i mean, would have massive slowdown). The speed and ability to which it work depends on the individual game and how much free ram you have to use as a buffer.
    Dreamcast never can emulate n64 properly, it is not possible.
    About gba, Dreamcast emulator could be possible if we could run gba ARM code under Dreamcast ARM capturing exceptions and mapping SRAM .. and i don't know if this is possible.

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by chui
    Did you try MMU with KOS? Only can simple map memory and it is not enough.
    I had to patch KOS for work store queues and direct render, also i captured real SH4 exceptions for speed up.

Dreamcast never can emulate n64 properly, it is not possible.
    About gba, Dreamcast emulator could be possible if we could run gba ARM code under Dreamcast ARM capturing exceptions and mapping SRAM .. and i don't know if this is possible.
    I have tried the mmu in kos. I know how I would use it if I were to make a system to use large roms, and it could also be done in software, with very little speed loss as the big loss will come when you are reading files off disc, to which the few ms you save won't make much difference.

Rand Linden thought N64 emulation on the dreamcast was possible, and he knows the dreamcast much better than anyone out there.

It is probably possible to run arm code on the Dreamcast's arm, BUT it is a lower version than the gba's and does not support thumb code, so it is not possible to directly run gba code on it.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

wonderfull, chui you are the man !

That's right : UNBELIEVABLE !!! Nice work, i'm waiting for this version !!!

DCEmu Regular

prefetch maps = the future. (maybe for more than 1 system, i hope)
    Hey Chui, yeah! this means with people making prefetch maps, to like thier vmu, maybe via a little speed reader to chuck into vmu, then upload to the web, we could have prefetch databases for lots of stuff, eh chui??? or is such a thing possible, or worthwhile, or should we have a program on PC to get the data, and upload it to you via a central thingy??? sound good?
    would this help with Intellivision and MESS type stuff?

Default Oh My God

WOwww!!! This is simply wonderful!!
    I've never thought something like that could be released, that's so amazing!!
    Thank you for your work this is so great !!!

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by obelisk
    prefetch maps = the future. (maybe for more than 1 system, i hope)
    Hey Chui, yeah! this means with people making prefetch maps, to like thier vmu, maybe via a little speed reader to chuck into vmu, then upload to the web, we could have prefetch databases for lots of stuff, eh chui??? or is such a thing possible, or worthwhile, or should we have a program on PC to get the data, and upload it to you via a central thingy??? sound good?
    would this help with Intellivision and MESS type stuff?
    you are misunderstanding the use of the technology. This can only be used to do two things: 1)map large virtual files with hooks to load parts of them and 2) remapping addresses to get slightly faster and slightly lower level emulation.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Regular

i have no clue at all. not just in video games, technology, etc.... but also people skills, and tons more.

im a terminal dumbass.

DCEmu Newbie

Obelisk, no need to feel like a dumb person you know, everyone is good at what they're good at. And anyway any improvement is a good thing, and it all depends about using the technology properly to get it to its fullest use. At least it seems that Chui found a way to use it properly for his stuff, which is nice to hear.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information