Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daikatana II for Dreamcast Confirmed a Hoax

Default Re: Daikatana II for Dreamcast might be a reality!

I'll make an ultimatum for you. If this is really legitimate, and you've been working on it for so long, then set up a time and place where I can come and see it run. I'll pay the expense for my travel to get there, all you have to do is bring the game.

lol OMG, I just PMed MetaFox asking if he got anything new regarding this, then I login here and see this WOW. Anyway, please do accept this ultimatum, i know MetaFox is actually not bullsh*ting, he means it and we all would like to see this final prove come to life.

Man, thats a little on the extreme side, don't you think Meta? Why don't you just wait until they release the smooth engine tech demo?

They don't have it running on DC, by the way. They would like to get a DC dev team to port the smooth engine to the DC so that they can release the DC version next summer/fall.

[quote author=MetaFox link=board=news;num=1102307130;start=0#5 date=12/06/04 at 03:09:21]
    Heh, he hasn't been in the dreamcast/emulation "scene" that long has he? :P[/quote]

Oh, I have. Admitably, not DCemu, as I have never been a tech head. But I often read news on new DC releases and projects.

The only hoax that I know of that had any impact was GTAFree, which was one a cheap one page site that got updated every few months. And to be honest, unless they openly admitted it was a hoax, how do you know it wasn't just a failed project? I do remember seeing screen shots (looked like an N64 game, with a pure white sky). I have never seen anyone put this much effort into a DC hoax.

[quote author=nuckles87 link=board=news;num=1102307130;start=0#12 date=12/10/04 at 19:58:10]Man, thats a little on the extreme side, don't you think Meta? Why don't you just wait until they release the smooth engine tech demo?[/quote]Not at all. Once you start announcing that you've been working on something, you invite the media to do their own investigating on the subject.

[quote author=nuckles87 link=board=news;num=1102307130;start=0#12 date=12/10/04 at 19:58:10]They don't have it running on DC, by the way. They would like to get a DC dev team to port the smooth engine to the DC so that they can release the DC version next summer/fall.[/quote]The PC version should be in a playable state if they've been working on it for years, and expect to release it in 6 months. There should be no problem with setting up an appointment for me to play for a few hours if it really does exist. The only way to prove whether something is real or not is to experience it firsthand.

[quote author=nuckles87 link=board=news;num=1102307130;start=0#13 date=12/10/04 at 20:01:13]The only hoax that I know of that had any impact was GTAFree, which was one a cheap one page site that got updated every few months.[/quote]There's been the SNES emulators SaddNES and supercast, a Super Mario 64 "port", Panoptican's NeoDC Emulator, zerotolerance's NeoRageX "port", saturncast, Hairy Budda's PSX emulator Blur!, Quantum programming's PSX emulator qPSX, Team X-Emulation's N64 emulator Dream64, the fake Dreamcast emulator for PC - Nightmare, Dreamcastin2k2's CD-i emulator Dream CDI, then of course the GTAIII clone project you know about. There's been more than that, but that's all I can remember at the moment.

[quote author=nuckles87 link=board=news;num=1102307130;start=0#13 date=12/10/04 at 20:01:13]And to be honest, unless they openly admitted it was a hoax, how do you know it wasn't just a failed project?[/quote]They started out saying that it was a straight port of GTAIII with reduced graphics, as they got the source of Renderware from Rockstar since it was a student project. When people got suspicious and started asking for proof, even going so far as to contact Rockstar for confirmation they did a complete 180 in their story and said that they never got the source for renderware, and were doing a remake instead.

[quote author=nuckles87 link=board=news;num=1102307130;start=0#13 date=12/10/04 at 20:01:13]I do remember seeing screen shots (looked like an N64 game, with a pure white sky).[/quote]There was a post on the DCEmulation forums where someone reproduced the screenshot using a popular imaging program in 5 minutes (the trees were even standard trees that came with the program).

[quote author=nuckles87 link=board=news;num=1102307130;start=0#13 date=12/10/04 at 20:01:13]I have never seen anyone put this much effort into a DC hoax.[/quote]That's the nature of a well-done hoax - to put so much effort into it that people actually believe it. Search for any of the hoaxes I mentioned above, and you'll see a whole bunch of effort was put into those as well. (Some of those even went on for several years, many photoshopped "screenshots", and several webpages).

I understand your position Meta.
    ..but I am still not the one who doesn't think it could be real - maybe it is? Time will tell...

As long as the existance nor the opposite isn't proven I am curious. Let's hope it isn't a hoax

No way in heck am I quoting that monster of a post Meta . But I see your point.

Guess only time will tell, but the DC version is not yet in a playable state. In fact, only a few things have even been done in that regard. Like I've said a few times "PC first, DC second". They are HOPING that if they get a group of DC developers together, the smooth engine can be ported, allowing them to work on the PC version in conjunction with the DC version.

As for the PC version, well, according to Corbin, a fully playable tech demo of the smooth engine will be available after christmas.

Time will tell...
    I don't think anybody realizes that the Smooth Engine "Tech Test" will be playable. It's not a video, but fully interactive, showcasing the effects and whatnot that my programmers have done.
    So I don't think there's a need to drive down here, but if you want to, be my guest.
    Like I said, the PC/DK community stopped complaining about it and now wait patiently, because time paid off for them, they started seeing screenshots and a lot of other things. I don't see why people are taking it so literally over here, it's already been said and done, so please, do me a favor and wait!
    Just another couple of weeks and you will get it to play and THEN, and only THEN, will you be able to judge if it is a hoax or not.
    Like I said, you guys haven't been in the PC/DK scene to follow everything we did, so you guys are starting out just like they did.
    But hold my words to it, beyond reason of the doubt, Daikatana II will deliver.
    So, either put up or Suck it Down!!!
    And Meta -- Daikatana is NOT, I repeat NOT hot property, BY FAR. Daikatana crushed John Romero's name, and if you were in the PC community long enough, you'd realize that he doesn't get the respect he deserves, at all. There's a lot of things you're not aware of Meta, so I think you should sit down and wait, or start getting involved in it. There's nothing else I can say or do, so hurry up and wait.
    Or, if you would like, we can set up a time and place for you to drive down here, because my team has no problem with it. If you're serious then I'm serious.

[quote author=corbin link=board=news;num=1102307130;start=15#17 date=12/11/04 at 00:47:05]Or, if you would like, we can set up a time and place for you to drive down here, because my team has no problem with it. If you're serious then I'm serious. [/quote]That works for me, I'll e-mail you at the address you gave to set up an appointment.

Great, I'm located in California...if we were all to meet I would like it some place far away from where I live for obvious reasons...get in a chat. We'll figure it out from there. You have my contact information on Sega.com.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information