Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RAW (Another World) removed !

DCEmu Artist

Default RAW (Another World) removed !

The port of the classic game 'Another World' has been taken off the authors website due to copyright complications.

My advice D/L from DCEmu while you still can!!!!

http://membres.lycos.fr/cyxdown/raw/

Bit silly if you ask me, as the original game is still available for download from many Abandonware sites.

Ah well.

Default Re: RAW (Another World) removed !

[quote author=steveola link=board=news;num=1084916608;start=0#0 date=05/18/04 at 23:43:28]The port of the classic game 'Another World' has been taken off the authors website due to copyright complications.[/quote]Ack! That leaves me in a sticky situation. Although I love the fact that Out of this World was on the Dreamcast through raw, I'm afraid I'm going to have to repect the author's wishes and discontinue any work on rawDC.

I'll try to contact Eric Chahi and see if there is some compromise that can be made - since his work on re-releasing Out of This World obviously won't include the Dreamcast. Maybe I'll be able to get the release out as a cover disc for a future issue of Dream On. Thank heavens I picked up the source to 0.1.1 before the downloads went down. It has sound and music, so it's basically complete now and would warrant space on a cover disc.

[quote author=steveola link=board=news;num=1084916608;start=0#0 date=05/18/04 at 23:43:28]Bit silly if you ask me, as the original game is still available for download from many Abandonware sites.[/quote]Abandonware is illegal, especially when the copyright holder still actively protects their property, as Eric Chahi obviously does.

It would have been nice if he could have worked out a compromise, like ScummVM did with LucasArts, since raw isn't just for PC, but Xbox and Dreamcast as well. But, when the original author makes a decision, authors of ports have to respect the original author's wishes.

damn, what a shame - i had the 0.11 updates merged in with full intro/outro sound/music support ready to release as well as new gfx filters.

hopefully its not the last we hear about raw

[quote author=lantus link=board=news;num=1084916608;start=0#2 date=05/19/04 at 01:32:15]hopefully its not the last we hear about raw[/quote]I'm hoping the same. Maybe after the rerelease, a compromise can be made to allow raw to continue so people can run original Out of This World CDs on platforms other than PC.

DCEmu Artist

Surely, so long as the code-wheel protection stays in there is no problem?

This way only the owners of the bona-fide original (like me) can actually start the game.

Just a thought!

(I wish I had kept my big gob shut!) >

Blog Entries

im gonna wait for more confirmation and to see what happens until i take the download down, we have no game files anyway so thats not a problem.

DCEmu Regular

Thought it might be a problem with it. Could allways do a genisis SGG of it optmize it use the new code i have it be pretty much fullspeed.

If Thats the only way.

[quote author=Wraggster link=board=news;num=1084916608;start=0#5 date=05/19/04 at 20:15:16]im gonna wait for more confirmation and to see what happens until i take the download down, we have no game files anyway so thats not a problem.[/quote]I'm debating on whether to release my latest changes, as I don't like leaving projects undone.

The author of raw (cyx) removed his downloads completely, and stopped production of the interpreter altogether.

Should I release an update to my release from cyx's already existing code, or just cancel development completely?

This is more of a moral concern than a legal one. I want to respect cyx's wishes, but I don't want to leave people with a barely playable product.

I'm thinking I'll release the latest update, then cease all future development afterwords.

What do you guys think? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

It's a tough decision, I would love to see a more playable version but it's the moral concern again.

Me? I'd do what Metafox suggested, release the version he worked on and stop there. Meaning just a release, no support, no requests etc. just a statement in a readme about the project and it's unfortunate early demise.

DCEmu Coder

RAW is just an engine, isn't it? I don't see what the problem is, to be honest.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information