Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Online Game List + FAQ

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Staff Current Online Game List + FAQ

US and EU Games Online through official servers:

4x4 Evolution (US)
    4x4 Evolution demo (US - available on the Official Dreamcast Magazine Disc #11: February 2001)
    Sega Swirl (US - available on the Sega Dreamcast Web Browser 2.0 and Sega Smash Pack Volume 1; requires a fully operational POP mail account)
    StarLancer (US, EU)
    Quake 3 Arena (US - Sega Spain server)

JP Games Online through official servers:

Note: Japanese games require a Isao Account to play online."
    *Currently None*

Games online through private servers:

Phantasy Star Online (US, EU, JP) OnlineConsoles server
    Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (US, EU, JP) OnlineConsoles server
    Phantasy Star Online (US, EU, JP) Schthack server
    Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (US, EU, JP) Schthack server
    Quake 3: Arena (US - only through various privately hosted servers)
    Maximum Pool (US) OnlineConsoles server

System Link:

F355 Challenge (US, EU, JP)
    Virtual On Oratorio Tangram (US, JP)
    Aero Dancing F (JP)
    Aero Dancing i (JP)
    Sega Tetris (JP)

Official Online Rankings:

Trizeal (JP) rankings

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Setting up an ISP on your Dreamcast
    Any of the following browsers will allow you to setup the ISP of your choosing on your system.

North America: Web Browser (any version)

Europe: Dreamkey 3.0 and 3.1
    European residents can still get a Dreamkey 3.1 disc for free by contacting Sega of Europe. http://www.sega-europe.com/

Japan: Dream Passport (any version)
    Some Japanese released games have Dream Key 1.0 built-in.

Additional Info and FAQs:

Notice:

Regarding Starlancer and 4x4 Evo, if your DNS numbers are not set correctly then the games may not be able to connect to their GameSpy servers.

Don't you have to have a modem for the Dreamcast?
    All Dreamcasts originally came with a detachable phone modem on the lower back right-hand corner. The only exception is former rental systems, which have a detachable hollow plastic shell in that spot.

Why isn't "(place game name here)" still online?
    It costs money to run servers for free to play online games. Granted not a lot of money, most companies apparently decided that the money would be put to better use if spent on other projects.

Can people make private servers?
    For Quake 3: Arena, yes. The development company, Id Software, released a Dreamcast support expansion for its Quake 3 Server software. It is available to download for free from various hosts on the internet.

The servers for most of the online games were run by Sega using their "SEGA SNAP" servers and software. Sega sold the servers and the rights to the software to Nokia, who then renamed the setup "Nokia SNAP".

It's not impossible that in the future someone may come up with a way to make a private server for some of the other formerly online games, but it is unlikely.

Do many people play PSO or Quake 3 on the private servers?
    As with any online game the number of players will always vary.

Is it free to play on the private servers?
    Yes. The only cost is whatever you normally pay to use your ISP.

Is there anything special you have to do or will need to get on the private servers?
    For Quake 3 all you'll need is the IP address of the private server you wish to play on. For PSO and PSO V2 you will need a Code Breaker (aka Xploder) cheat disc. Full instructions on accessing Schtack's can be found on Schthack's website: http://www.schtserv.com/

Where can I download the VMU file with the Codebreaker/Xploder private server access codes for the Phantasy Star Online games?
    You can download the file directly from this address: http://gsproduc.ath.cx:8000/vmu/schthack.vmi
    Just make sure you read the instructions on Schthack's website ( http://www.schtserv.com/ ) before using it.

Can I use my Dreamcast with Broadband/DSL?
    There are two ways to get the system online with Broadband/DSL.

1. The official Broadband Adaptor, also called BBA. Which is rare, and very expensive.
    2. The free but slightly complicated method described here: http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/..._pcdcwin98.php

If I use my PC's broadband connection, as described in method #2 above, will the DC's connection speed be at the 33k/56k of the modem or will it be equally as fast as my broadband connection speed?
    It should run at a stable 33k.

Will my DC games run without lag when using broadband?
    The connection will be equally as stable as your broadband connection.

Which games work with the Broadband Adapter (BBA)?
    Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online Version 2, and Quake 3: Arena.

"That Propeller Arena game....was anyone ever able to go online with that?"
    Only the programmers. The game was on schedule for a fall 2001 release, but was completely canceled due to the September 11th terrorist attacks.

Can I play PSO with non-Dreamcast users?
    Yes. If you use the Schthack server, you can play with PC players (not Blue Burst) and GameCube players (obviously on the levels from the episode 1).

Erm, I think I went online with a US Unreal via a BBA. (long time ago though, about 4 years or so)

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

yeah but there servers are down now for Unreal

You forgot to add Quake 3 Arena (US) to the US and EU Games Online through official servers

Also, maybe you want to add the games with System links and Internet Rankings?

Blog Entries

I only ever played ChuChuRocket online, and it's the only game I would ever go back to play online if it was still possible! (but I doubt it)

I got unreal the other day and was about to start a new thread asking how to get online with it when I noticed this, It connected fine but there were no servers I also played around with the inbuilt web browser but could not find out how to change the address, could only connect to the atari site which crashed after 5 mins or so.

I bought my DC secondhand about a month ago and didn't get the browser disk that was (I think) supposed to come with it. Athough browsing the net with a DC would be nothing but a novelty these days I was wondering if there was ever any (legal) homebrew browers made.

also is it worth getting PSO?, is it free to play online?, is it any fun online? (as i have read the single player game left a lot to be desired).

Without DCEmu I would have never bought a DC as I had no Idea how homebrew friendly they were Thanks for showing me the light.

I bought my DC secondhand about a month ago and didn't get the browser disk that was (I think) supposed to come with it. Athough browsing the net with a DC would be nothing but a novelty these days I was wondering if there was ever any (legal) homebrew browers made.
    XDP Browser Pack. Anyway, try to get any DC web browser from eBay

also is it worth getting PSO?, is it free to play online?, is it any fun online? (as i have read the single player game left a lot to be desired).
    PSO is awesome, please try to get it. The online mode is totally free. Also, if you are not a PSO fan, get Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2"

http://www.onlineconsoles.com/
    Go here, it's the official forum for Dreamcast online.

Thanks for that JKKDARK I'm registering there now.

Dreamcast User

Quote Originally Posted by Darksaviour69 View Post
    yeah but there servers are down now for Unreal
    Does anyone has any infromation about the server?

Or know people that have unreal knowledge (moding , etc.)

We (the admin of dcarena.de [madpic666] and me) had a little succes bringing it back online. Our server was shown in the gamespy (original) server list and could be choosen in the DreamCast unreal server list, but the connection could not be correctly astablished. The DreamCast was rejected by the server or the other way around.

So if anyone has any info or knowledge feel free to contact me.

The admin of dcarena.de was very busy the last months, so sadly we could not work on the project.

Some staff member should update the list. Remove the PSO games from the official servers lists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information