Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast Hard Drive

DCEmu Newbie

Default 123killa

CAN SOME 1 ME FIND A WEBSITE THAT LETS U DOWNLOAD A DC FLASH PLZZZZ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MrSporty View Post
    My suspicion is that the 70/71 pair relate to the security ring present on pressed GDROM's.

The 70 is likely a "Seek to and Read Ring" command.

The 71 then responds with a variable length response which as N.K pointed out , appears as random data. From my logs , altho the length is variable it doesn't seem to change from between 1900-2040 bytes.

My assumption is that the data is a scrambled representation of the security ring data with the length dictating the scrambling seed or method.

I asked drkIIRaziel (NullDC) and he greatfully modded his emu to return random data instead of the fixed block that most DC emus are returning for the 71 command and he reported that it caused random errors when trying to boot images. Some would boot , some would appear to boot then reboot and some would just fail entirely.

This wasn't exactly as i imagined because if the 71 response was solely protection related then you would expect a fake reply to fail all the time.
    Really intriguing!

The ancient prophecy foretells of a mortal who unlocks the Dreamcast GD-ROM bus protocol.

If the GDROM bus protocol can be understood precisely, would it be possible to connect a CPLD ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPLD ) to the GDROM bus to "trick" the Dreamcast into booting an alternative boot device (a flash card, for example) ?

Maybe the CPLD is not the best choice.
    Would some other device work better as an interface circuit ?
    Last edited by DreamDogg; April 9th, 2008 at 19:47.

DCEmu Newbie

Does anybody happen to have the pinout for the Oak Technology's OTI-9220 CD-ROM controller (the one used on some GD-ROM drives). I've seen block diagrams and know that it consists of Sony's CXD-3005R DSP/Servo control and Oak Technology's OTI-912 CD-ROM decoder integrated into one package, but that still doesn't help when trying to follow signals on the board Any Help?

By the way, not all GD-ROM drives use that chip. I also have one that uses Yamaha parts. I've done quite a bit of searching on those IC's to no avail.

Thanks!
    -ud

Thumbs up

I am glad to see this project still going forward. I am tired of the long loading times on some of the games I have, especially when demonstrating the DreamCast on RES.

Yes, RES is still going strong everyone, in fact it has been shown at 3 conventions so far and I keep adding to it. Check it out at http://www.kkwow.com/res/

So yeah, that's my 0.02 on this, please keep it up, I'll be one of the first in line for this.

Chris

DCEmu Newbie

Has nobody read this yet?
    http://www.fuzzymuzzle.com/Kiyoshi/IDE_HDD.htm

It's still not perfect though;

* The version of NetBSD-current I use is 1.5W.
    * The wdc interrupt handler is invoked by the "callout" routine polling the IRQ signal line.
    * DMA/UDMA is disabled because the interface hardware dosen't support DMA transfer mode.
    * The performance is not good. (max 840kb/sec)
    * BbA(Broadband Adapter) and IDE drive cannot work together.
    * CD-ROM drives are probably workable.

DCEmu Newbie

Anyone still working on this? (i registered to add a reply to this topic)

Also, maybe you can use the Dreamcast's expension slot (modding a modem) to attach a hard drive, or maybe you can use ethernet to attach one of those home share hard drives (the ones with an ethernet connection). Tho you should need a broadband modem, because with the standard 56k one the speeds would suck.

Thats why i prefer modding a 56k modem to a HD connector or to a broadband addaptor to get good speeds.

Imo that would be the best way to add a hard drive to the wonderfull Dreamcast <3 .

Please research my idea!

i would say modding a BBA or Modem to work with a harddrive would be ok but unless you made some sofware that boots be for all your games they games would not see the hard drive at all.
    why carnt we why can we modify a 3rd party memory card with a USB port and then we can just plug falsh drives in or (i wouldnt recomend this as to slow) a USB hadrive because doing it this way would mean that with out any software needed the games could see the memory just fine.
    or could we even mod a 3rd party memory card with a USB card reader and then we could use SD cards on the dreamcast.
    Last edited by arranmc182; June 13th, 2008 at 16:45.

Or better yet, what about connecting a HDD to the GD-ROM mainboard?

I hope someone's still working on this...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information