Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: beta version of CZ80 released :)

DCEmu Coder

Default beta version of CZ80 released :)

I finally completed my Z80 emulator.
    I just fixed a bug which making it crashing on dreamcast (reading/writing a word on odd address).
    It hasn't been tested a lot so it's far from being bug free, but it's enough to make some tests and benchs
    I tested it in Genesis Plus only against the current used Z80 core.
    On x86 platform, it performs about ~1.6 times faster only, but on dreamcast it performs ~2.2 times faster

You can grab the sources here :
    http://gens.consolemul.com/download/CZ80_090.zip

I did a cpu interface to make switch to a core from another quicker.
    I'll upload it soon, be patient

Cheers,

Edit : cpu interface files uploaded at http://gens.consolemul.com/download/cpu_z80.zip

Dream Coder

Default Re: beta version of CZ80 released :)

cool! i see the interface allows for two different wrapper CPU cores. CPU Z80 and CPU AZ80. what is AZ80? also, is there any chance you could try to make the wrapper compatible with mz80 as well?

im gonna try testing this with mame. thanks a bundle!
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Coder

[quote author=quzar link=board=dcemu;num=1106437151;start=0#1 date=01/22/05 at 17:58:53]cool! i see the interface allows for two different wrapper CPU cores. CPU Z80 and CPU AZ80. what is AZ80? also, is there any chance you could try to make the wrapper compatible with mz80 as well?

im gonna try testing this with mame. thanks a bundle![/quote]

AZ80 is a x86 asm Z80 i made for Gens sometime ago, not really interesting actually.. it was just to compare it versus CZ80

mz80 ? or cmz80 ?

Dream Coder

both have the same interface. mz80 is the x86 enhanced one, and cmz80 is a directly API compliant version of mz80 written in pure C. its what im currently using in NeoDC.

but thats not really important i guess, because cmz80 is already around 2x faster than the z80 core in genesisplus.

sorry if this is a hassle i'm asking of you, but is there any way you could make a cpu wrapper that wraps the functions of mame's z80 core to CZ80 ? so, instead of modifying the rest of the program, you simply add in the wrapper object and be done with it? I already tried to do this previously with C68k's cpu interface, but couldn't get it to work right, I guess I just dont understand either core's interfaces well enough.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Blog Entries

excellent news

this is the boost the whole emu scene has needed

Bravo Stef . Qu'elles machines utilisent le z80 au fait ? la megadrive , la neogeo , la saturn aussi non ? et surtout ça gere quoi ? :-[ . Merci pour tout ton travail en tout cas :-*

DCEmu Coder

[quote author=quzar link=board=dcemu;num=1106437151;start=0#3 date=01/22/05 at 18:19:11]
    but thats not really important i guess, because cmz80 is already around 2x faster than the z80 core in genesisplus.
    [/quote]

I upgraded to the last version of MAME z80 core in Genesis Plus, some bugs fixed and a bit faster.
    I modified and cleaned it a bit for easier interfacing.

I also tried to implement cmz80 in Genesis Plus... Weird, i guess i don't use it very well since it's only a bit faster than MAME core, and this is, on x86 architecture...
    On dreamcast, speed is almost the same as MAME core.
    I don't like the way we need to initiliase CMZ80 : complex structures to fill, long... and core doesn't seem really safe (with fetch for instance).

By the way ? how did you get cmz80 working on DC ? since i needed to fix a bug (actually the same as in CZ80, i.e. SH-X cpu can't read word data at odd address) before getting things to work :-/

sorry if this is a hassle i'm asking of you, but is there any way you could make a cpu wrapper that wraps the functions of mame's z80 core to CZ80 ? so, instead of modifying the rest of the program, you simply add in the wrapper object and be done with it? I already tried to do this previously with C68k's cpu interface, but couldn't get it to work right, I guess I just dont understand either core's interfaces well enough.
    Unfortunatly it's just impossible to do a perfect cpu wrapper which permit to use CZ80 without modifying any lines of code in the rest of the program... specially for initialisation stuff. Almost all cores are different for that.
    I uploaded a new version of CZ80, i only modified DAA opcode : *no anymore need of the LUT (as MAME z80 core actually) -> smaller code
    http://gens.consolemul.com/download/CZ80_091.zip

I also uploaded my modified z80 cpu interface, it now implements CMZ80 as well... i also included :
    - lastest version of MAME z80 (tweaked for Genesis Plus)
    - CMZ80 fixed for dreamcast
    - lastest version of CZ80
    Get it here :
    http://gens.consolemul.com/download/cpu_z80.zip

Of course this CPU interface has been done for Genesis Plus. And again, you'll need to modify some memomry function name and definition in Genesis Plus to get it working.
    You can use the cpu interface in others projects but you'll need to modify initialisation stuff according to the emulated system etc...

Bravo Stef * . Qu'elles machines utilisent le z80 au fait ? la megadrive , la neogeo , la saturn aussi non ? et surtout ça gere quoi ? * *. Merci pour tout ton travail en tout cas *
    Merci *
    Beaucoup de (vieilles) machines utilisent le Z80...
    La master system, la mégadrive, la NeoGeo, les ordinateurs personnels type Amstrad etc... (pas la saturn ^^)
    Dans les plus vieilles machines, le Z80 est l'unité centrale, mais dans la mégadrive ou la néo-géo ce n'est qu'un sub-system pour gérer la partie sonore

Awesome

ok ^^ . Ta version va aider a avoir une émulation correcte du son dans genesis plus et neocd ? en plus d apporter un gain de rapidité . Desolé de t embeter mais je me demande ce qui gene surtout les devellopeurs d ému dans leur conception sur ces 2 émulateurs

Dream Coder

[quote author=Stef link=board=dcemu;num=1106437151;start=0#6 date=01/23/05 at 13:00:23]I also tried to implement cmz80 in Genesis Plus... Weird, i guess i don't use it very well since it's only a bit faster than MAME core, and this is, on x86 architecture...
    On dreamcast, speed is almost the same as MAME core.
    I don't like the way we need to initiliase CMZ80 : complex structures to fill, long... and core doesn't seem really safe (with fetch for instance).

By the way ? how did you get cmz80 working on DC ? since i needed to fix a bug (actually the same as in CZ80, i.e. SH-X cpu can't read word data at odd address) before getting things to work :-/[/quote]

I use cmz80 in NeoDC. Previously it had used mz80, which didnt work at all because of it's assembly=ness. It compiled fine, but maybe it DOESNT work and that could be why I am not getting any sound. (even though I replaced the z80 core, i am not getting any sound. i assume though that the sound code is broken, maybe the z80 is still broken.)

the only reason i say cmz80 was faster than mame core was because at one point i tried the mame z80 core in neoDC and it slowed it down considerably, whereas cmz80 made little difference (although now i see that may be because it simply doesnt work).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information