Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: M68K for DC

Default Re: M68K for DC

it was with 3.0.4 gcc that it was using too much memory to compile for -02 up, so I can now compile at home with 3.4.0

Troy

Dream Coder

oh wow? i know that in 3.3.x it was broken cause i was reading through gcc mailing lists today and read a bunch of things about how most things couldnt compile cause it was broken.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Yeah I researched it alittle and I believe the issue that was being discussed was supposed to be fixed in 3.4.X, and I read that Dan Potter was using 3.3.3 with a special compiler flag.

I have not tried to recompile KOS though, so maybe that would be broken with 3.4.0, I don't know. maybe I'll get a chance to try it soon.

I only built the binutils and the C compiler, as I decided Its a rare event when I compile something for C++, so I haven't tried to build that part yet.

Troy

DCEmu Coder

I don't know if previous versions of GCC (i.e < 3.0.4) has better support of SH-x CPU...
    Unfortunatly SH-x cpu aren't used that much compared to ARM or x86 cpus... i tested GCC for GBA (ARM) and actually generated code looks *a lot* better than SH-x generated one :-/

I tested C68K with -O0, -O1, -O2, -O3, -Os
    only -O0 and -Os work !
    I guess a switch used since -O1 to -O3 break C68K... probably because of computed label stuff, it's true i never meet any problems except with C68K

The memory problem i got with GCC is due to the structure of C68K, even with -O0 GCC will eat about 500 MB of memory and take about 2 mn to compile the file on a XP-2400+ !

C68K is about 3 time faster than musashi when compiled on PC, i think we have the same difference on DC but i'll confirm that soon

DCEmu Regular

Use 2.95 Like me faster uses less memory to compile very stable. I can show you what flags all the levels enable it's a tut on my site.

I could test the core Till i find what breaks it making my own level. I understande what each flag does i dont need to mass group the flags using a predefined level.

See when you release it I can prolly find a lot of speed by using the right combo.

Study compiler settings on GCC for 2 years now.

Dream Coder

why not add flags from O0 to O1 manually until it breaks then leave out the flag(s) that break it?
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Regular

Yes exactly Thats how you do it. If you go to my site you can find out how to see what every level enables.

http://imrtechnology.sourceforge.net...opic.php?t=205 vist and see how to do this. My programing part to my forum is very usefull..

DCEmu Coder

why not add flags from O0 to O1 manually until it breaks then leave out the flag(s) that break it?
    Yeah of course, i should do it to find the flag which break my code, but it takes about 5 mn to compile, add to that 2-3 mn for upload ...
    It'll take me time a long time to figure out what flags are wrong (but i really need to know so...)

Ian>
    I'll try to upload the sources of C68K today (after my job i think), i'll also upload a small cpu interface file (to easily change from musashi) and mem68k.c from modified Genesis Plus to show how memories functions are defined with C68K.
    About interrupt ack callback handler, just leave it to NULL in C68K_Init(...) to start with.

DCEmu Coder

Would you mind if I have a look at it too?

Dream Coder

<= Can compile quickly ;D

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information