Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: M68K for DC

DCEmu Coder

Default Re: M68K for DC

[quote author=Ian_micheal link=board=dcemu;num=1083323639;start=30#30 date=05/05/04 at 15:25:43]
    specs for the old machine it works on you have tryed are. Ive tryed it on a 200mhz p1 *about 30% speed with sound on. I can take a video of it to prove it.

[/quote]

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=13374

Olders version of WinUAE were faster... and from another guy, Fellow was even faster.
    but i guess they were a bit optimist

DCEmu Regular

Check black aura's posts. At dcemu I post them. Most of these people saying fullspeed have never used a real amiga neogeo cd sdl dc some people say fullspeed it's hardly even close to it in real world.

Any way check black aura's post on it. Im an amiga fan i like it the most just not going to happen. Fellow is x86 asm not portable

Yeah lot of people on forums like to lie or confuse speed with whats real. Amiga in real life runs a lot better then UAE and FELLOW ever *does even on mu 850mhz AMD it's still Not perfect emulation or very speedy to me.

This week end im having an amiga week end ive got 500+ real games in box's to revist and my amiga 600/40 is going to get a dusting off. I love a dc one Stef really but i cant tell people. Fairy tales. We dont have fullspeed snes emulation, An amiga is up to 3 times more complex. Thats just the facts from a programing standpoint. No amount of SH4 is going to completely save you when the system is this complex.

|Now ive looked all over dcemulation for you anthor post about amiga emulation on *DC

BlackAura
    DC Devver

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:25 am * *Post subject: * *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

karsten wrote:
    Well now i'll ask a noob question: (don't flame please!)

why nobody tried the amiga emulation? Amiga had greats games, and the machine wasn't really powerful (a 133mhz pc emulates it well). Is it about the amiga OS or porting difficulties?

You've seen an emulator that runs well on a 133MHz PC? Where? Last I checked, they needed a 400MHz CPU to run well. The fastest I've seen was Fellow, which ran well on a 300MHz machine, but they need at least a 500MHz machine to run most games at full speed.

The problem is that the Amiga is a stupidly complex machine, and it's also pretty powerful. Complex machines are very slow to emulate, as are powerful ones. And they're also really hard to write emulators for. That means that you might see a port of UAE to the Dreamcast, but it'd be unusably slow, and it's not likely that anyone will write one from scratch because it'd take years to get it working well.

Case you missed the links i posted on the subject

http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/vie...;highlight=uae whole topic.

http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/vie...;highlight=uae

many more at dcemu.. Black aura Knows what he is talking about one of the best programers i know dc or pc.

Im sorry i belevie him over some unknown people on emulation forums. Really is not that doable at all i dont see it being a chance at all.

But let all this info server some one to prove us wrong. No way i could do it even with a big team.

Blog Entries

Can i ask if older versions of emulators that worked on pentium 100s etc, would be far easier to port to the dreamcast than recently released sources?

for example snes/genesis emus than ran well on a pentium

DCEmu Newbie

I dont know why people are so damn worried about amiga yet. One no ones even started on this Sh4 core and secondly we have tons of other emus much easier to make they arent anywhere near close to fullspeed.

Genesis should oe been done by now and I dont understand why some coders cant get together and finsh it up. Dont even say its to complexed to finsh it up when Ian's version with sound ran pretty decent and was just missing tons of features. Add in the frame skip by quazr and this new Optimized M86 C+ core then you'd have full speed.

@Stef D
    I'd like to welcome you to the DC scene and I love to see you working on a Genesis/M68k emulator for DC! BlackAura is a nice guy and I am pretty sure that with IMRtechs help and the ppl working on the DC Triple A project this whole thing definitly will have a bright future...

For me u truly are a hero since I never had as much fun playing my Genesis games as with wGens! I wanna thank you for a long long very dark year that u brought some light into...

@Ian Micheal
    I think you might be wrong because there definitly IS a way of emulating the AMIGA500 but I don't think that anyone has enough breath to do this til it's finished and playable with sound but even this could be proven as wrong...

Bleemcast, Genecyst etc are very good examples for fast and good programming!

...might be as hard as doing an N64 emulator 4 DC from scratch ;D but it could be done!

No one believed to ever see a good working NeoGeo(CD) emulator for DC too - but u and all the others working with you made it reality! Not to mention that it might be perfect within the next months
    Everyone simply would have laughed at u if you'd announced that a year ago

Damn I love NeoCD

So plz stop flaming :P and give them some helping hand

DCEmu Rookie

No wonder I can't run risky woods off winUAE I have a 500 mhz and it run but the sound goes
    too fast and the game is slow. I need to track me down a real amiga and a copy of risky woods
    the music in that game rocks and winuae and Fellow KILL IT. amiga without music is like
    cake without frosting, AIN"T GOOD ENOUGH. now the atari st emu I am all for because I like
    the ST despite its extremely weak sound chip, can't produce quality tunes.

DCEmu Regular

Not to be a downer but Im not wrong and ether is Black aura on this subject

http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/vie...;highlight=uae *whole topic.

Christuserloeser *im not flaming but giving the facts to save people wasted time. Im a big commodore fan amiga port was my first project. I know it cant be done. ive tryed

Why dont we work on nogeo cd it's near perfect and only needs a little push from other people i cant seem to fix cd audio on all games or get sfx to work right. It's open source. If were working for the greater good then it's a good project. Many others that need finshing like wonderswan all of use working on it would be finshed.

Just a thought should we not finshes things that are unfinshed im only a porter and c code haker.

DCEmu Rookie

an, you know your amiga, I also know that the Dc cannot handle the great power of the amiga
    amiga in their games and apps, utilizes the different processors that the amiga has, the DC
    just cannot do it, I wish people would realize it, Ian you explained it PERFECTLY. IF it happend
    then I can call myself a liar, but until it does I still think the programmers that think
    they can pull amiga off are living too damn much in the dream world.

DCEmu Newbie

Anyway guys, emulating the Amiga 500 is not the only point on this idea. An asm done 68k core for the sh4 would undoubtely improve things. If it's possible to emulate Amiga, we'll do it, but it's not the only point I see on this proposal. There's a lot of fun hidden in here, and everyone is called to collaborate. And don't set the Amiga emulation as the only goal, because I think that the next step in dcemulation will be doing fast mean and sharp asm cores, starting from the most commonly used ones, and this means m68K.

I also appreciate Ian's interest on this subject: Undoubtely, there's not an *easy* or *fast* way to emulate Amiga, but we may keep searching for a way to achieve a good compatibility combined with fast (but not complete) hardware emulation.

Thanks for all of your replies, I'm so happy that this topic suggested a hot, interesting discussion.

Propeller

DCEmu Coder

[quote author=Christuserloeser link=board=dcemu;num=1083323639;start=30#34 date=05/05/04 at 22:08:36]@Stef D
    I'd like to welcome you to the DC scene and I love to see you working on a Genesis/M68k emulator for DC! BlackAura is a nice guy and I am pretty sure that with IMRtechs help and the ppl working on the DC Triple A project this whole thing definitly will have a bright future...

For me u truly are a hero since I never had as much fun playing my Genesis games as with wGens! I wanna thank you for a long long very dark year that u brought some light into...
    [/quote]

Thanks for your cordial accueil I'm happy to see you had fun using Gens, this is our reward *
    I always followed the DC emulation scene but i never really had the time to involve myself inside ... until recently.

I know Ian and BlackAura, they are both great and talentued dever guys, I'm sure we will do nice stuff together I don't know much "DC Triple A" team, but they seem to be really motived, it would be nice to join our effort on commons projects (who said M68K ? *;D )

Hopefully, i'll be able to complete something i started (speaking of the 68K core in C)... didn't happened from a long time !

About Amiga emulation on DC, well, i can't really estimate what the DC is able to since i never coded in pur SH-4 assembly using internal cache stuff ... nor i can't estimate how many CPU power requires amiga emulation since i don't know it's hardware much ...
    But is it really important ? i don't think this debate will bring us somewhere... let's go coding instead *

I just realized i got the "DC coder" status *:-*

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information