Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: gpSP0.8 kai 2.5 - GBA Emulator for the PSP

o yay another unofficial release (sarcasm) lmao . when in the hell is an official release gonna happen all of these releases by this guy are always $#@! i cant understand and some of his release worked worse then gpSP v5 i mean cmon. Exophase bring use an update man please

does dragon ball works on this version?

DCEmu Newbie

emm small improvement still can't get past the opening cutscene on KH com got a little further though and it does seem to work a bit better on some other games like golden sun so good work but i would still like version 0.9...

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Veskgar View Post
    I'm also eagerly awaiting another "official" release from Exophase.

If 1 or all of the following games can be played 100% eventually, that would really be something.

1.) Zelda - Minish Cap
    2.) Super Mario Advance - Yoshi's Island
    3.) Mario & Luigi - Superstar Saga

But even if those games still have issues, gpSP is already one of the best EMU's for the PSP.

Exophase
    doesn't seem to like to release small updates frequently so I'm hoping that the long awaited next release will be something huge.
    #2 already works, use the right BIOS.

This release is annoying because half of the readme is illegible and unlike the previous ones he didn't release patches, so I have to diff it myself. Great.

Also, this cheat system is lame :P

I'm working HARD on the next official release of gpSP, of course I have to figure out Kai's updates and determine what I should reimplement, what I've already implemented, and what's pointless. It's annoying to basically be competing against someone else with my own emulator, he acts as if I've stopped working on it when in reality I'm spending a ton of time trying to get some things done which are a lot of work (far more work than he'll ever do)

wow a new release

DCEmu Coder

Here's the readme_kai.txt which is more legible, and my commentary:

Bug correction of VRAM write (thanks Mr.130)
    - No, you didn't fix it, you broke it. Obviously you don't understand how VRAM mirroring works in GBA, and you just opened up a potential memory error with it. Good going. Furthermore, what was changed affects VRAM read, not write.

Bug correction of SRAM size automatic operation
    judgment
    - This is something that will probably never come up in practice, but I fixed it already for 0.9.

Trouble correction of "Kirby Star Kagami no Daimeikyuu" (thanks Mr.5/Mr.104)
    - I have no idea what he changed here for this.

replacement Right channel & Left channel (thanks Mr.96)
    - Well of course this was reported like 1000 times, but for some reason not until after 0.8 was released. Obviously I fixed it for 0.9.

- Trouble correction of "Medarot Navi" (thanks Mr.5/Mr.104)
    Same as Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, no idea what specifically was done to make this work.

The other change is the cheat system which like I said I think is crap, and I'm not going to waste my time implementing something if I'm not going to do it right. Even the implementation is poor, it tries to write to memory directly instead of using the memory handlers, which would make a lot more sense.

Here's a rough summary of all of the changes he's done to the source code since 0.8, looking through the diff:

- Buffer based writing functions for savestates
    - Some "debug mode" to display a bunch of I/O registers.
    - A "fix" to code that's never even used and was just in there for some tests I ran a very long time ago (cpu.c line 479)
    - Multiple idle loops, and yet he doesn't actually use this even once in his game_config.txt; he probably caved in to that guy who was nagging me for this so he could try to hack Mario & Luigi to work (I doubt it would have ever worked)
    - Sound buffer option in the menu, which IMO isn't very useful
    - New screen scaling options, which IMO are ugly, but I'll probably implement them anyway
    - Ability to assign the analog keys; I didn't look at his menu but it probably distorts the GUI layout the way he did it. I'd rather do this a different way.
    - An unaligned write fix for the wave buffer, which was probably easy to find given a game that actually does 8bit writes to it (some Japan only Super Robot Wars games, apparently)
    - Made the CPU halt on DMA IRQ -- this is a "fix" but the implementation is definitely not correct. Maybe the fix for those games?
    - Crappy cheat system with crappy implementation.
    - Clock speed and ROM buffer hacks for eLoader (could have at least had a version check at runtime instead of requiring a different EBOOT..)
    - Broken VRAM mirroring.

is there a cheat function?

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by ShuzzleBuzzle View Post
    If exophase happens to read this how is 0.9 coming along? No pressure but i'm sure we are all hoping it is something big after the three months wait
    Three months? Try two months, in two days.

DCEmu Newbie

=/ I hate it when people piss off the devs that make emulation a reality for us honestly stop being so impatient. Btw wanted to say great emu man I use it over my m3 for some reason I just like it better on my psp dunno seems to run slightly faster then on actual hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Exophase View Post
    Here's the readme_kai.txt which is more legible, and my commentary:

Bug correction of VRAM write (thanks Mr.130)
    - No, you didn't fix it, you broke it. Obviously you don't understand how VRAM mirroring works in GBA, and you just opened up a potential memory error with it. Good going. Furthermore, what was changed affects VRAM read, not write.

Bug correction of SRAM size automatic operation
    judgment
    - This is something that will probably never come up in practice, but I fixed it already for 0.9.

Trouble correction of "Kirby Star Kagami no Daimeikyuu" (thanks Mr.5/Mr.104)
    - I have no idea what he changed here for this.

replacement Right channel & Left channel (thanks Mr.96)
    - Well of course this was reported like 1000 times, but for some reason not until after 0.8 was released. Obviously I fixed it for 0.9.

- Trouble correction of "Medarot Navi" (thanks Mr.5/Mr.104)
    Same as Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, no idea what specifically was done to make this work.

The other change is the cheat system which like I said I think is crap, and I'm not going to waste my time implementing something if I'm not going to do it right. Even the implementation is poor, it tries to write to memory directly instead of using the memory handlers, which would make a lot more sense.

Here's a rough summary of all of the changes he's done to the source code since 0.8, looking through the diff:

- Buffer based writing functions for savestates
    - Some "debug mode" to display a bunch of I/O registers.
    - A "fix" to code that's never even used and was just in there for some tests I ran a very long time ago (cpu.c line 479)
    - Multiple idle loops, and yet he doesn't actually use this even once in his game_config.txt; he probably caved in to that guy who was nagging me for this so he could try to hack Mario & Luigi to work (I doubt it would have ever worked)
    - Sound buffer option in the menu, which IMO isn't very useful
    - New screen scaling options, which IMO are ugly, but I'll probably implement them anyway
    - Ability to assign the analog keys; I didn't look at his menu but it probably distorts the GUI layout the way he did it. I'd rather do this a different way.
    - An unaligned write fix for the wave buffer, which was probably easy to find given a game that actually does 8bit writes to it (some Japan only Super Robot Wars games, apparently)
    - Made the CPU halt on DMA IRQ -- this is a "fix" but the implementation is definitely not correct. Maybe the fix for those games?
    - Crappy cheat system with crappy implementation.
    - Clock speed and ROM buffer hacks for eLoader (could have at least had a version check at runtime instead of requiring a different EBOOT..)
    - Broken VRAM mirroring.
    its nice to see your still working on it which i knew you were but ye i have to agree the kai updates have all been crap and he wasnt to clear on what he "fixed" every update he has released had sh** that i didnt know was changed nothing really usefull as you said but im waiting for the official release from you which you know what your doing and you know your ass from a whole in the ground to bad the same couldnt be said about this guy keep it up Exophase

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information